Mitre saw blades for old wood/metal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
Just ordered a Bosch glide 12" mitresaw.
I have a heap of old fence panels, posts etc etc to cut up for my workshop stove/firewood, This wood has nails etc in it.
I often see these "evolution rage" mitre saws with diamond blades i think they even sell the mitresaws in b and q.
http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/uk/build/mitresaws/
The blade on them will cut through any old rubbish even metal.
What is a similar style blade for cutting wood with nails/metal for a 305mm mitresaw, I just want some crappy blades i can chuck on for cutting rubbish stuff that metal won't instantly kill.

Thanks

I have one of those axial-glide saws - marvellous.

Personally, I'd be hesitant about letting my saw near old wood with nails etc in it. Grab a metal detector and remove the nails? Aside from that, I note those evolution blades have a 25.4mm bore versus the 30mm bore on the Bosch so I'd suggest you speak to a supplier like Cutting Solutions and see what they recommend.

AFAIK, there's no need to fit a 305mm diameter blade - one of 300mm or even 250mm will do the job - providing the piece being cut is raised appropriately.

dickm":3ba7exwt said:
A high quality sliding mitre saw to cut up old fencing material for firewood??

It ain't going to remain accurate for long with that use..............

why not? place a fence panel on and cut, isn't that what mitre saws do - cut wood? :wink:
It's a one of load of wood not like an everyday thing i'd be doing that.. will be used for cabinet / furniture making as i sold my old dewalt 780.
i'd just like a rubbish blade for doing this load in case i hit a nail.

If I was cutting up firewood I'd use a sabre-saw of some type. Mind you, a good pruning saw would be a great help to me to get some calories burned up! Fact is, I wouldn't let my mitre saw near grotty old timber. Also, should I upgrade I would go for the axial glide too. :D

You should be able get a nail saw on fleabay for less than £15, I would have put a link, but didn't know the centre size,
Same as some previous posters, I have visions of gungy old wood, bristling with nails, gouging and scraping the lovely shiny mitre saw bed and fence you've just bought :shock: :shock:
Regards Rodders

Does the saw blade have a well enclosing Metal Blade Guard?
If not then regardless of the blade type/performance you are asking for trouble if chips/off-cuts of steel fly off the periphery of a 300mm blade at normal wood saw speed, plastic guards might as well not be there and they may even contribute to the shrapnel load.

Latest posts

Back