MIS-SIZED PLANE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a plane in my collection for several years that I have often wondered about..but, until now never bothered to pursue the questions that it presents. ( Sorry for Imperial measurements)...It is the size of a Stanley #5...same length at 14"..width a 2' blade...weighs 4lbs 2oz..(The Stanley/Bailey i am comparing it to is 4lb 8 oz)...it has a Stanley "kidney bean" lever cap..a very nice older blade marked "STANLEY"...the lateral adjustment lever on the frog suggests that they may be from a UNION plane...( Stanlley bought the UNION plane division in 1921 )...
BUT
It is marked on the toe in the usual spot "05 1/4 " and the bed is a rusty red colour. a Stanley 5 1/4 is only 11 1/2 " long ..and 1 1/2 in wide and weighs 3 3/4 lbs.. This appears to be a marriage of parts but I am curious as to whom may have made the base...it obviously deviates from the the North American makers usual numbering process
I am thinking that the base may be from a British maker and would welcome any info
Thanks
Brian

Brian,

Nothing odd about 5 1/4. This was a lad's jack plane. L-N make one today. I think they are great, also good for ladies with wrists like matchsticks.

David Charlesworth

I would guess that what you have is a plane by Ohio. These tended to have bodies with a "O" prefix. It might explain why a #5 1/4 plane has a 2" wide blade, when the Stanley #5 1/4 (The "Junior Jack") is 1 3/4" wide ... or were you referring to the width of the body, which could be 2"?

Anyway, I'd say it is likely to me made by Ohio.

The other feature I recall is that these had tapered blades. Since the blades are difficult to find, Stanleys may have been used for replacement. This may account for the combination.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek..Thanks for the info.. I will follow that lead ...and David...I know what a Junior Jack is..I was wondering about the disparency between two planes with the same numbers but of different sizes..
cam

Some info on Ohio Tool Co.. If your Stanley 2" iron has a bit of leeway laterally, Brian, I'd say Derek's right on the money there. Now there was a company that believed in the value of different iron widths, did it not? 2, 2 1/8, 2 1/4 and 2 3/8" jacks? Note to self: Don't even think about becoming an "all the numbers" collector of Ohio planes!

Back