Mini table saw advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello.
Does anyone know of a "mini" (say 30cm-ish bed size) table saw that's not rubbish?
I've browsed on Amazon (for the reviews) and none of them look very good.
I wouldn't object to one that's fairly easily improved to a decent quality - for instance, if the guide has too much play, etc etc, but is otherwise ok. I would need a powerful motor, though.
Thank-you!

PS: I have this Ruyika 400W mini hand circular saw which seems ok. As it's unusable left-handed, if the worst came to the worst I might be able to use it as the basis of a home-brew. It doesn't have to be fancy, and I could just about live with a 1cm depth of cut for what I have in mind (though more would obvs be better).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20417744...cLnC2rRA6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Last edited:
Yes, thank-you. It's way over my budget though.
It kind of confirms my impression of Proxxon stuff as overpriced but good. I know you tend to get what you pay for, but should you really have to pay 3 times the price of an "ordinary" one, just to avoid eg a wobbling guide? I can't, anyway.
If anyone's getting rid of one cheap though, I'd be interested!

I sadly think that tools are not cheap to get as good quality… the appearance of cheap versions doesn’t make the decent ones look expensive, they are just a reminder as to why there is a cost to good design and construction and confirm that cutting costs doesn’t always work…

So if a decent tool costs £1,000 and there are lots of bad versions around at £500, that doesn’t say that the decent one is 2x as expensive, it simply confirms why it is worth saving and paying more

What do you need a miniature table saw for? Could you use an MFT and track saw or good quality bandsaw?

A 30x30cm bed, maybe with an optional extension, would be ok for most of what I make - on the scale of side tables, not garden benches or dolls' houses! In any case, I don't have room for a bigger one, even if I needed it.
I have the Record BS250 bandsaw, which is good with a new, straight blade. But, however many times I tell myself NOT to use that blade for curves, eventually I always do! After that, it no longer follows the guide, and I have to manually steer the workpiece, which never results in a dead straight cut.
In a nutshell, I would like the ease of straight cutting with a table saw, but don't need mega dimensions.
As I said, I'd be quite happy with a cheaper one that's improvable!

I bought the following, though it is not currently available (!). The main advantage of this one was the height of cut was adjustable.

NovelLife Mini Hobby Table Saw with Miter Gauge,3 Inch HSS Circular Saw Blade,96W Power Supply for DIY Handmade Wooden Model Crafts, Printed Circuit Board Cutting​

I used it for dolls house work and it is effective at that level but I realised that there is very little dolls house cutting that I can't do on my full size bandsaw.
Cutting 8mm MDF was ok but 12mm was a bit of a struggle. I wouldn't think it was be successful for the sort f work you want it for i.e. side tables

David

Axminster used to do one with a cast iron top, probably still do.
My mate had one, it was pretty good for back of the van use but the trunion guides were made of plastic bits and pieces which collapsed into bits and replacement parts are not easily found, its lurking somewhere in the workshop awaiting some re-engineering.
I would look for a second hand Proxxon, its probably better engineered.

Ollie

Axminster used to do one with a cast iron top, probably still do.
My mate had one, it was pretty good for back of the van use but the trunion guides were made of plastic bits and pieces which collapsed into bits and replacement parts are not easily found, its lurking somewhere in the workshop awaiting some re-engineering.
I would look for a second hand Proxxon, its probably better engineered.

Ollie
Do kity 419 parts not fit??

300mm square saw table is almost just a circular saw turned upside down.
Please don't do that !
I second the recommendation to look for a Kity 419.
It's nearer 600mm square, but it's a good, real, small tablesaw with a quality cast aluminium top and decent 1100W quiet induction motor. You can cut parts on that to make smaller furniture quite successfully.

I have heard of people using tile saws for this kind of role. I have also heard of people advising against it, generally based on either using the diamond blade (don't) or that the speed is too fast for typical wood blades.

Just went to the Amazon for a quick overview of what's available, there's an Einhell 600W, 3000 RPM cutter and was able to find what at first glance appears to be a suitable 40 tooth TCT blade for around £90 combined.

I'm sure others will comment as to suitability, I'd listen carefully. Personally I'd probably chance it but it's your workshop, your money, your fingers and your decision.

This little beauty might serve your needs? Will save you money on electricity bills and there's no need for ear protectors or dust extraction. They're doing a free global shipping deal for the next couple of days on orders over 800USD. Get the saw with the precision fence and you won't pay for transatlantic delivery.

Hi - is that the TC-CS 89? It looks v similar to the Ruyika one that I already have (above). I took it apart the other day - it seems impressively solid and well-made. Impossible for left-handers though. Unfortunately, as usual the outer case is part of the structure, so it wouldn't be easy to rebuild the motor, gears, blade etc into another box, though now I'm considering it. Thanks,

Hi - That looks good, but unfortunately it's seriously too big for the little space I have.
I'm imagining something about the size of a large biscuit tin, or two shoe boxes side by side (to use dometric units :) , that I can put in a cupboard when I'm not using it.

Back