Mini Greenhouse - Little help and advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJB

Reaction score
Hi i would love a 8x6 greenhouse, but my garden it not really big enough for it.

Now i have a nice space by the side of my shed, the only problem is it's 2m long and can go about 1m width, height is not an issue but say 1.5/1.8m would be a nice height. Now i've built my own shed (also because of the space where it had to go) and really enojyed doing that.

So i was thinking of using 2x2 frame. Now i dont really wnat to use glass, can a plastic board do the same thing?

Has anyone build a mini greenhouse as small as mine before, and have you got any pictures i can see please? Thanks

Something like this http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/ ... id=DD2059D

Hi

I gave this exact type of thing some thought last year when SWMBO hinted at wanting a lean to greenhouse on the back of my workshop - havent got as far as doing anything about it yet :D but I was also thinking along the lines of 2x2 or maybe 2x3.

For glazing the cheapest option seems to be 4.5mm twin wall polycarbonate - tough with good light transmission but not completely transparent - I did the windows in my workshop (converted wooden stables) with it from DIY Plastics - if you go to the 'PLASTICS in the GARDEN' section on their site you'll find links to it (& also Clear Horticultural Acrylic which is another option, albeit more expensive, but completely transparent) - they even do kits for lean to mini greenhouses.

You probably want to decide on your glazing plastic first & design the framing to suit it - the plastics seem to be available in quite convenient widths & lengths.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the links. Yes gonna get the plastics done first.

Hi all I have made two of these so far I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take them.
Basically i used 2x2 for all the framing and 2x1.5 for the doors. I cut all of the profiles for the glass into the 2x2 using a hand held router.
The glazing was all greenhouse glass and cut to size after the framing was complete, cheap cheerful and still going strong after 4 years.

Bean

Bean":1dgz11ey said:
Hi all I have made two of these so far I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take them.
Basically i used 2x2 for all the framing and 2x1.5 for the doors. I cut all of the profiles for the glass into the 2x2 using a hand held router.
The glazing was all greenhouse glass and cut to size after the framing was complete, cheap cheerful and still going strong after 4 years.

Bean

Pictures would be excellent, can you say the size of it aswell. Also was the glass expensive?

Hi I will taks some pics in the light tonight, The glass was not expensive, but greenhouse glass is only 3mm at best, tends to be of a lower quality that normal glazing. Call a glazer for prices they are usually helpful.

I will post the pics and dimensions tonight, although I got the dimensions for mine from a gardening book, simply made it a little longer here and there, drawing was on the back of a fag packet :D

Bean

Shop around for glass. Don't go for the first price you're given. I buy quite a lot of glass, and by shopping around I discovered a supplier who saves me in the region of 50% on the prices of other suppliers.

John

Knot Competent":28leh3bs said:
Shop around for glass. Don't go for the first price you're given. I buy quite a lot of glass, and by shopping around I discovered a supplier who saves me in the region of 50% on the prices of other suppliers.

John

I wonder where he gets it from :)

Ahh photos at last, I had not appreciated how difficult it would be to get these, its the wifes end of the garden, I dont go there very often :roll:

2006_0217Image0002.jpg

2006_0217Image0001.jpg

Simple stuff bridle joints all over the place

Hope they help

Bean

Scott the timber is Redwood, I cannot remember what i used for preservative, I know it was expensive, It needs doing again now. But as yet no rot and this one as my wife has remined me is 10 years old, the one I made for my Mother in Law is 4 years old.

Bean

Back