mini gloat and what else do I need question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickson71

Established Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd let you know that I'm offical a few step off the top of the slippery slope ...... got about 3 months of DIY before shed time :cry:

I bought the record lathe of joekid (must say that he is a great person to chat with and he happy let me play on the lathe before buying and the problem's he had been fixed)

to make things better I've just been to see my mother and after a quick look in the garage I find some turning tools ........ look like my Dad was thinking about a lathe before he passed away

I've not had chance to have a proper look at the tools yet but to my delight they are all brand new and have Robert Sorby stamped on the handels ....... so well happy got them for free so save a good few quid

One quick question ........ I've now got a skew chiesl, a scraper, and 3 gouges (roughing, spindle and one marked up as 343H??) is there anything else I should buy like a parting tool etc

Thanks

Ian

Sounds like you've got all you need to get started - good gloat!

For a learner-turner the spindle gouge is probably the best all-rounder - you'll find you can do most things with it.

The only screaming omission is a grinder (but perhaps you already have one anyhow?), cos you will v v quickly discover that only sharp edges cut well!

You can use the skew to - almost! - part. Use it pointy bit in, a bit left, a bit right, and so on. Down to the last - say - half a centimetre or so. Stop the lathe and apply your trusty rip/tenon/whatever saw. Tidy up with a knife and some s/paper.

So I'd suggest you get turning first, you'll realise that you need one that is "just so, only a bit more...", and before you know it you'll be travelling so fast down the slope that resistance would be both painful and probably useless!

Good luck!

Good advice from Greybeard - get started,then see what you feel you need to add to them (BTW - Robert Sorby = nice chisels :D )
A parting tool is probably a good idea,but not immediately essential - I use one for making chucking recesses on faceplate turning,and spigots on spindle work ; however,some people are happy doing these with a skew.
A bowl gouge is worthwhile if you are making bowls,but not so if you make pens - get started with what you have,and get used to using them first,rather than spending money on something you think you might need..

Andrew

i agree, just start turning! but if you do find yourself getting into problems, try a book or two, Keith Rowley's "a foundation course" is invaluable, xplains laiths, set ups, tools, how to use them, different woods, all sorts of things. You didnt mention a grinder, you will need one! and may i suggest making (or buying) a sharpening jig, as free hand sharpening is one of the hardest things to try to master, and above all, take your time, dont rush it and ENJOY! :p

A parting tool and a roughing gouge are the obvious missing items, but enjoy what you have !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Thanks for the replys .......

I've got a grinder and the book that was suggested is on order .......

If I get time over the weekend I'll see what scrap I can find and have a play

Ian

Back