Mini Bash - Salisbury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a great day at our MiniBash in Salisbury. Those attending were Paul Chapman, Philly, Newt, Alf, Chisel and me. We all met up at Penny Farthing Tools at 10.00am and had a good nose round...I bought this rather natty Ulma smoother with a lignum sole for the princely sum of £12 and will be the subject of the next plane refurb:

opoewrkvjfuwqio.jpg

rtymr5.jpg

As the day was a MiniBash, Alf spent a not inconsiderable amount of time making us each a MiniBasher :D :

jskdfk545d1c.jpg

When we got back to my w'shop it was down to the serious stuff of the Planegloat Fest and you can see what was on offer in the pics below:

iosjdglk85dty6u844.jpg

klfkljcjdksejc.jpg

The d/t saw is Alf's from MikeW in the USA and amongst this delectable assortment of iron and bronzemongery you should be able to spot Philly's JK plane, the 25th Anniversary LN smoother and the by now famous brush :lol:

I did a demo on silver soldering and Alf showed us her method of flattening plane backs with diamond paste on acrylic (note to self...no need to wipe off the diamond paste after a couple of minutes :oops: ) and then after playing a bit more with the toys it was over in convoy to Newts for this:

kldf633tg4594854.jpg

....a veritable Foodfest....Martin, you don't know what you missed :D A huge public thankyou to Pam for going to so much trouble...the salmon, prawns, beef..... lime cheesecake and the droolworthy pavlova....wow!
Newt talked about all things metalworky including a demo on hardening and tempering. This is a shot of Newts LN and Philly's....the Record has a 'Y' lever on it machined out of solid brass. The ordinary looking bar of steel in the pic is in fact special stuff that contracts when hot rather than expand and this will be used as the main shaft in a model gas-turbine engine that Newt has under construction (Pete - please correct me if any of this is wrong)

-3-400-3404.jpg

Alf had numerous other goodies in her swag bag and Paul Chapman was lucky to win a Veritas hold down in the draw. In all a really great day and one to be repeated - Rob

Yes, many thanks, Rob, to you, Pete and Pam for a lovely day. But specially to Pam for that truly wonderful meal. To say it was yummy would be an understatement :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

woodbloke":1jgspekn said:
Paul Chapman was lucky to win a Veritas hold down in the draw.

Here it is - a Veritas surface clamp

e921df58.jpg

e921df02.jpg

It was donated by Rob Lee, I believe (thanks Rob :wink: )

Like all Veritas stuff it looks very well made. I'll try to do a MiniBash Mini Review some time during the week.

Paul

Had a great day out, most fun in a long time, and learnt loads from all the others and from handling the different tools.

Thanks to Rob for the early afternoon session, and to Alf for the minibasher which, while small, was perfectly formed, and to Pete and Pam who did a terrific job entertaining us all later in the day. Pam's generosity and expertise on the food front is something else and only equalled by Pete's engineering expertise and an astonishing amount of patience. Hope your back is sorted soon Pete and you can get back to doing the things you enjoy before too long.

And yes, Rob's Stanley No4 really is as shiny as it looks in the photo's, well it was at any rate, but is now covered in fingerprints I'm afraid..... :shock: :lol:

Phil's collection of woodies just continues to grow and was only outweighed by his anniversary 4 1/2 in bronze which almost needed a wheelbarrow to transport it, it was so heavy ! :lol:

Thanks all, great day out !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Many thanks to all of you for a great day - especially Pam for the feast. I am still stuffed (it's gone 10pm now... :lol: )
Great to meet up with you all and talk sawdust. Bet Pennyfarthing Tools have stopped sweating now, too.... :lol:
Looking forward to the next one,
Philly :D

During the visit to Penny Farthing Tools I could only afford to buy a few small things, including this very nice book by Ernest Joyce and Alan Peters

e921bfc0.jpg

But before you all start to feel sorry for me, the reason I couldn't spend much was that a couple of weeks before I spotted this on their website and, taking note of Alf's wish not to have any bloodshed on the day, I bought it in advance \:D/

e921bf79.jpg

A Stanley #55 in cracking condition, with a complete set of cutters and at a very good price :D Been looking for one for years, so couldn't let the opportunity go by :wink:

Paul

folks, I am so glad that you enjoyed the day, Pam thanks you all for the kind comments, she was quite nervous that what she had produced would be to everyones taste, and it looks as though she need not have worried. Rob's timing for 1430 was so good it was exactly that time as he put his foot on the pavement outside my house, I like precision. Thanks to you all for coming. It also seems you have improved the economy of Salisbury via PFT.

Alf, the mini mallet is great a super scale finish on something so small. It is now placed in a prominent position to remember the day . Thanks.

newt":uzfyqmtm said:
Alf, the mini mallet is great a super scale finish on something so small. It is now placed in a prominent position to remember the day . Thanks.

I had a good look at mine today. As you say, Newt, they are beautifully made - it was a lovely thought, Alf. I must find a special place for my one as well :D

Paul

Paul Chapman":9h9grh2u said:
newt":9h9grh2u said:

I had a good look at mine today. As you say, Newt, they are beautifully made - it was a lovely thought, Alf. I must find a special place for my one as well :D

Paul
Agree with Paul.... many thanks Alf for the little mallets. As discussed at Newt's yesterday, it's often allot harder to make the small stuff... :D - Rob

Some more pics.......
Here we have an attempt by Alf and Paul C to avoid the glare from Rob Woodblokes shirt.......... :lol:
dscf6903.jpg

Some serious iron (and wood) planes. Made by the worlds finest planemakers - plus some by Rob and I :lol:
dscf6905.jpg

Al's delicious Wenzloff DT saw (a beauty!), some boat anchor's and "that" brush.......
dscf6906.jpg

and finally, lunch at Pete and Pam's. Forced grins all round as we've just finished stuffing ourselves on the marvelous feast provided by Pam. Many, many thanks! And when can we come by again?? :D
dscf6909.jpg

It was a great day out - thanks to Rob for organising things. And thanks to Al for making her "Mallet-Lite"'s and Rob Lee for generously providing gifts - you are too kind!!
Cheers
Philly :D

If you look very carefully at Philly's pics, you'll see there's a certain variety of bird on my shirt that Alf is very familiar with, so I thought it was appropriate for the day....besides, I told Alf to be dazzled and not by the metalwork on show :lol:
......says Rob (who may wear something similar to NickW's BiggerBash in Sept :shock: :lol:)

Looks like a great day and I am supremely jealous :mrgreen:

Lovely minibashers Alf, love 'em :D

Well I can't really add anything to what's already been said, but a thousand thank yous to our hosts and hostess - who excelled herself. Thanks for posting the pic of the spread, Rob - I've been annoying my family by showing it to them and describing it in minute detail :wink: - and for the soldering lesson. And to Paul for the famous CK Yankee bit holder and Pete for the hardened-before-your-very-eyes blade. Apologies to Phil for putting him off the Goodman book in PFT and subsequently buying it myself - didn't dawn on me 'til later that might have been a bit sneaky... :oops: :twisted: Despite which underhandedness he chauffeured me about most excellently, barring the odd sat-nav hiccup... Ooo, and I'm not really a travelling salesman for LV btw, it just happened like that. #-o

Anyway, judging by the silence from the majority of the rest of the populace they're too busy sticking pins in our effigies to want to see this thread again :D so I'll pop my pics on the blog when I get home. Including the First Shavings. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Just seen this post.
Looks like you all had a great time.
Tools there i'd be too scared to touch never mind use,not that i'd know how too by the way :roll:
Rob nice looking workshop.
Alf great little bashers.
Here is my little lot that rarely see the light of day,so this is a special occasion for them. :roll:
So any chance of coming to the next banquet,i mean bash next time.Would i qualify with my collection :D

Paul.J.

Alf":8fkh90bj said:
Anyway, judging by the silence from the majority of the rest of the populace they're too busy sticking pins in our effigies to want to see this thread again so I'll pop my pics on the blog when I get home. Including the First Shavings.

Not true, not true, I've been following with envy, all that lovely food and shiney things that only collectors can have. unfortunately Martin and I were busy that Saturday otherwise we would have p-ut in an apperance. Never mind I'll make up for it and the Nottingham and Cambridge bash's

Alf":2q2im0eq said:
Anyway, judging by the silence from the majority of the rest of the populace they're too busy sticking pins in our effigies to want to see this thread again :D so I'll pop my pics on the blog when I get home. Including the First Shavings. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Yes, and I took time out to sharpen them :twisted:

Dom

Back