Millers Falls Early Production No. 33 Ratchet Brace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesicus

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got a really nice early (circa. 1880) specimen: http://jp29.org/wwmf33.htm

MF 33 bit braces have always held a special place in my heart. I bought my first one in 1949 - a used specimen of 1930s vintage with the stained hard wood wrist handle and head. It was not only the 33's 8 inch sweep that attracted me - we lived at 33 Rossetti Avenue in Burnley during my youth and WWII and I had a sentimental attachment to that number (still do). Anyway, I have always liked the elegant lines of the 30 series MF braces - dependable work horses that they are.

James

Jamie

Nice. You have inspired me to have a look through a few braces in my loft that kinda look similar; I'm gonna go sort thru 'em now and see who made 'em. Hey, maybe I've got one!!
Mine are probly all medieval Rolson numbers.
You say you have had a hankering for this for some time; is it the only one you have? Or are you a brace-nut?

Either way- it is very very nice indeed.

Neil

neilyweely":136rob0z said:
Jamie

Nice. You have inspired me to have a look through a few braces in my loft that kinda look similar; I'm gonna go sort thru 'em now and see who made 'em. Hey, maybe I've got one!!
Mine are probly all medieval Rolson numbers.
You say you have had a hankering for this for some time; is it the only one you have? Or are you a brace-nut?

Either way- it is very very nice indeed.

Neil
Thank you Neil. I do have other Millers Falls braces, but none as old as this one. I am not a brace-nut but I have always found them very useful. I particularly favour Millers Falls and North Bros. "YANKEE" No. 2100 braces.

James

OK, coupla stanleys. One was part of a wooden kit sold by stanley as a complete kit. It also had a no4, a tenon and rip saw, some chisels (5001's), screwdrivers, some auger bits, a book and a stanley honing guide specifically for plane irons, not chisels. One of these sold for £10 or just shy last week. Which suprised me.
Anyway, not finished yet. Theres more.

Neil

I also have a Miller's Falls brace. A 12" Rose Brace that dates to 1867.

IDeclareThisBenchFinished_html_m3e3f75d4.jpg

MFbrace.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back