Midi size lathes. Any ideas/advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

looking for a new lathe. Currently have a Draper wtl95 which is the normal Axminster etc copy. Has 10 speeds, but the belt and bearings have gone and the tailstock alignment is shocking.

So I'm looking for a midi size lathe for pen turning mainly. Have seen many people using the Jet lathes in the USA but I can only fond the none variable speed version for sale in the UK. So possibly looking at the AWVSL from Axminster or the midi Record. Only problems, Axminster seems too cheap? Record is not variable speed unless you pay for the £700 version!!

So looking for variable speed, under £350. Not fussed about tapers etc, but thick 2mt is better?

Any ideas?

Phil

Hi Phil.

I have had a good look at these lathes and even used some of the old Perform branded ones. They are ok but I feel that most are under specced and of inferior quality. My opinion is either save your money for a bigger lathe or go for the Jet midi lathe which I've seen up close and compared with the Axminster and it feels much more substantial. From a distance they look like they are clones of each other, but the Jet is a higher specced machine and it shows. When it runs, it sounds smoother and appears to run nicer and the levers and knobs don't feel like they'll break if you cran on them too hard (and that's coming from a 9 stone weedy ;))

I know it's frustrating to hear people advise you buy machinery over your budget. But some low priced machines are just a waste of your hard earned cash.

Cheers.

I like the look of the jet 10-14 just wish Axminster sold the variable-speedmodel that's availble in the US. As they seem to stock the rest of the jet range!!

I have a Jet mini that I used for about a year when my Perform packed up and it's a lovely little lathe, as Tom said it is a different animal regarding build quality etc. Personally I think that variable speed is a nice option but I don't find having to change a belt that much of a hasssle as I don't really need to change speed as often as I would expect.

pete

philb88":19kdyxsq said:
Cheers.

I like the look of the jet 10-14 just wish Axminster sold the variable-speedmodel that's availble in the US. As they seem to stock the rest of the jet range!!

They do sell it. Or at least it's in Brimarc latest catalogue...

Can only find the standard belt change models on both axminster and brimarcs sites. Really need the variable sleed! As it's ideal to just dlick a switch to go from finishing to turning down to polishing! Rather than switch off change belt etc!!

Just been on to Axminster about the variable speed model, will be approx £500. So just over twice the price of the normal belt model. And I think it's still a DC motor, whereas the record for that price is 3phase with conversion!

Think I'm going to try and repair the Draper WTL95 I Have and ten try amino Axminster!! As the Draper doesn't like having te speed changed alot, or being run at max speed!!

Do all lathes like tha Axminster clone eat belts??

I think model numbers are getting confused here. In the Brimarc Catalogue, the Jet JWL 1220 comes in variable for £420. The non variable 1220 is £335.50. The 1014 is a smaller lathe.

Hi again
Have you thought of doing your own variable speed conversion? A three phase motor (say 1/2HP) and inverter can be had for under £200 and you could then buy the Jet Mini for a total cost that is less than the cost of the Record. In fact you could buy the Jet, try it out with belt change and then convert it if you feel like.
I would always prefer a lathe with 2MT and 1" x 8 thread (eg the JET) over one with 1MT with 3/4" x 16 thread (Record)
Just a thought.
Jim

wizer":7bvsvc0p said:
I think model numbers are getting confused here. In the Brimarc Catalogue, the Jet JWL 1220 comes in variable for £420. The non variable 1220 is £335.50. The 1014 is a smaller lathe.

Ah. See which you mean now. That would mean the better model was cheaper than the smaller one in variable speed. Gonna shoot them an email as the variable isn't online!! Cheers for the info!

Latest posts

Back