Mft 3 / ts55 question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davic

Established Member
Reaction score
Would this setup be able to take a 50x50mm length of would and take it down to a finished size of 45x45mm PSE? Is this something that could be done in a straightforward manner and is it OK practice, if not good practice please?

I am assuming that a small amount of planning may be required. Apologies if this is a bit of a daft question.

That's just the sort of ridiculous thing I have done in the past. Not sure you'd need an MFT for it to work. Provided to prop the "rest" of the track up with some 50mm and 45mm (after the first cut) it works a charm. You may want to involve some clamps.

How long a piece are you talking?

I would be concerned that as the workpiece is narrower than the guide rails this may be unsafe as the grip strips will not hold it.

Nobody said it was safe, but I've done it loads of times :)

Provided the rail is supported throughout it's fine. User choice of course. Still does depend a little on length, if he said a couple of feet using an 800 rail it'd be a doddle. 2.5 meters however. Not for me - ok yes, I've done that too.

Also, nobody said I was safe either. Needs must in the field I suppose.

Probably a length of 2400 but judging by the replies its an idea, but not necessarily a good idea :)

You can prop it with some off cuts all along the length, but if you've not got one rail to do the one run, it won't be very accurate where the inevitable "slide the rail along and hope the measurements are right" bit happens.

Is this a one off?

Yes I see what you mean. It probably won't be a one off if it made sense to do that. I was just thinking that it might take some of the work of a thicknesser/planer and make it last a bit longer. I am just mulling it over really

Do you have a saw? Mindless plug for the TS75 I am selling...

You want the right blade for ripping along the grain nicely if you do it. If you have a rail longer than the cut you are doing - which of course you do in a way, but you get my point - put a clamped block at the end of the piece to stop the rail from sliding, which can happen.

Eliminate a bunch of the things you'd have to think about holding on to with clamps and such and you're away.

Or get a band saw.

Or a table saw.

All depends on the amount of accuracy you are looking for.

Good plug, I don't as it happens but if I do get one it would be the 55. It is probably the sort of thing best done on a table/bandsaw

Look at the Mafell then if you're going the smaller saw route. Heretic for even suggesting it in some places. MTMC has a very nice special on.

Had a chat with some folks today and it seems that for making small furnie items such as craftsman's bedside cabinets etc, a table saw is a better bet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Stickley is the sort of thing id like to make. I am told that they are very dangerous and am a bit cautious about them....

Oh absolutely a table saw is a must for that kind of thing. From what I understand you'd be looking for a 2nd hand Startrite or Wadkin, like the rest of the population. Prices range from (I missed this one and was gutted) £350 up to £1k plus - for the same saw. Depends on time of day the auction ends etc.

Back