metalworking lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the warcos seem to be a bit more expensive to get the same distance between centres. 400mm would be an advantage here, because my starting material tends to be either 5-6" or 10". As pointed out, a chuck, drill chuck and drill don't leave much room on a 300mm lathe. I could cut the material prior to putting it on the lathe, and with the longer stuff may still have to, but there are some operations where I need to drill 100mm plus. It is difficult to compare quality between the brands on photos- i will probably head to a show if I buy new so that i can look at them all together.

having looked a little further, the pre 1985 ml10s seem to be too short between centres, as well as the limitations on top speed.

i am still looking. The Sieg, in particular look very nice pieces of kit. I have looked at the other suggestions too. The hesitation at present is whether I can justify spending so much when my time is somewhat limited between work and also studying, and whether I am doing my usual trick of trying to cover all possible eventualities, when i will probably not use them. For example, the concern of whether imperial or metric threading would be better and the ability to do both- when in reality, i can use taps and dies, of which I have most of what i will use! The ability to turn stainless steel, when I only really need it for acrylic, ebonite and similar.

If i do away with the requirement for screw cutting, I may be able to get something vintage, providing it has bearings capable of being ran at speeds suitable for turning acrylic. I dont want/need anything huge- i have noted the comments about the capacity that chucks, drill chucks, drills etc can take up. Hopefully vintage wont depreciate too much either.

chipmunk":179qwknx said:
Hi Marcros,

IMHO Myford engineering lathes are a bit like Record wood lathes. Antiquated and ok but really nothing special and other lathes are available ;-)

HTH
Jon

Go wash your mouth out with soap and water, hee hee

Back