Meranti - Any Tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been given some thin lengths of meranti and, as I've never used it before, I wonder whether anyone has any tips? It will be used to either make, or form part of a piece of furniture.

Thanks,

Neil

Newbie_Neil":te2cdb1m said:
Hi Chris,

I haven't seen you on the forum for a very long time, I trust that you are well.

Chris Knight":te2cdb1m said:
Neil,
Lots of different types of Meranti with properties that vary quite a bit http://www.wood-database.com/?s=meranti

Thank you for the information.

Neil

Yes, it's been a long while! I am reasonably well thanks, considering anno domini but have given up off-road motorcycling which is why I am back in the workshop! Currently finishing a table I started years ago and never completed...

Hi Nick,

nick winfield":30rincam said:
have a look on my Instagram Old Sawley Workshop iv got oak and meranti boards there

Thank you, that looks good. The oak and meranti really complement each other.

You've got some interesting pieces there.

Neil

There is a lot of variation in meranti from spongy sapwood to rather nice heartwood. If you can select the better boards from a stack then it can be really good for furniture. It's good to work with handtools and has low movement. I used some to make a mantle shelf for a gas fireplace. 10 years on still looking good.
Regards
John

It's nice stuff to work with, get stuck in.
Gate 01.JPG

Attachments

• Gate 01.JPG
    Gate 01.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 81
As previously mentioned; lots of variation in ‘Meranti’. The ‘dark’ is a treat to work with – but it also comes in ‘lighter’ colours (and weight). Recently I got hold of some ‘pink’ (ish) off cuts and made a ‘box’ for a granddaughter to keep bits and bobs in. Couple of hints – FWIW in the softer lighter colours be careful with the base line you choose to seat a joint against i.e. a dovetail. The ‘stop’ line can be easily defined with a knife – but any aggression with a mallet stroke will shift it; I found it easier to cut a little away from a ‘stop’ line and par down for the straight and true (better corners). Finishing is a trick – sand paper onto dry material tends to ‘dull’ and obscure the ‘features’ which are subtle. Sharp plane finishing, followed by a damp cloth then light sanding, then damp cloth, then a lighter sanding brings out the colour and texture, gets rid of the ‘fuzzy’ fibres. A fine, light coat of shellac and a last touch with sandpaper – then a wax seemed to make the little box shine. I made the lid from oak with a ½” rosewood ‘front piece’ then made it a raised panel. That box glows and make a little girl very happy. It ain’t perfect – I’ll own that; but try the meranti, be careful of breakout and of ‘raggedy’ back edges on cuts; there are worse timbers to use.. There, my two bob, spent as pleased me best.

Back