Memory box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftsman22

Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody advice me where I would get the writing template inlay or how I would do the writing on the top of the box ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220304-212200_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-212200_Samsung Internet.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 39
You could ask around and see if anyone has a laser. I have not tried it and I would get some tests done first in case it just leaves a burnt look to the wood.

If it is to be precious to you, find someone to do it for you.
Laser is very effective. It can reproduce anything you can design on a home computer The intensity of the engraving can be adjusted to give a bold or fainter finish. The fainter finish is not intrusive.

I have an old manual gravograph engraver for plant labels. (the kind you see in botanic gardens) There are companies who have the computerised versions who can engrave any design on just about anything. I think they are now gravotech

Hi
I have a CNC and could engrave or laser the design we run a small woodworking shop and produce many personalised items both one off's and small to large production runs, we courier stuff all over the UK Drop me a PM and we can discuss more details D

The cabinet shop i used to work at did these. Done on our big laser engraver.
Took a while to get the fine writing down without it being blurred but it was just a case of adjusting the focus of the laser. A number of trial runs but it turned out really well.
The writing on the side is about 4 or 5mm high. It's burnt in then sanded to remove any scorching marks. So I'd suggest as above finding a company that has a laser etcher and get them to do it. You'll get a considerably better and more professional look than a shaky hand pyrographer.

mortlach-70-year-old-shop-250.jpg
mortlach-70-stretched-thumb-960x640-7889.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic detail on those boxes. How did the engraving turn out white/pale if the design is burned on with laser? Or were they filled with paint afterwards?

Fantastic detail on those boxes. How did the engraving turn out white/pale if the design is burned on with laser? Or were they filled with paint afterwards?
I cant actually remember as it was in the finishing room and the boss's private haven. But I think it was a putty rubbed in.

Back