Medieval style bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just thought I'd share an item I have made for someone using reclaimed oak from old furniture. The person it has been made for is into the medieval times re-enactments scene, and is going to have this as a piece of furniture in there home.... my guess is in the hallway or something?

DSC_0044.JPG

First thing you may spot is the screws at the top of the legs. This is not something I personally wanted to do. The small corner braces in my opinion were good enough but the client wanted screws as well. And, with it being a freebie job They got exactly what they wanted, hence no plugs to cover the screws, but hey never mind.... I am happy with it apart from that part! (You may also notice the darker edges with pencil rounds, this is due to how the wood was before I got it and with it being a freebie, the client can sort out the discoloured edges themselves.... couple of minutes with sandpaper will probably do it).

I am pleased to say the joints were done completely by hand using chisels, tennon & coping saws, they did take a bit of messing about with to get them perfect and I'm now left wishing I'd took a picture of the tennon shoulders...

DSC_0045.JPG

The detail cut-out was done first with a hole cutter in a pillar drill for the top part, and then the rest was cut out with a jigsaw.

DSC_0046.JPG

That is rather attractive, tight joints, wood too good for a freeby, bit you're right about the screws.

Back