Meddings DrillTru Rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindthatwhatouch

Established Member
Reaction score
This sorry looking thing followed me home a while ago in exchange for not much money. It's been sitting in the workshop (less workshop and more bombsite actually) since.
As like others I have had a bit of free time lately, there's been a bit of a tidy up, a reorganisation and the opportunity to get it tidied up a bit.

Attachments

• arrive 2.jpg
    arrive 2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 307
Couple more pics.
arrive 4.jpg

arrive 3.jpg

arrive 1.JPG

Attachments

• arrive 1.JPG
    arrive 1.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 339
  • arrive 3.jpg
    arrive 3.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 339
  • arrive 4.jpg
    arrive 4.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 342
  • arrive 5.jpg
    arrive 5.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 304
Take it to bits,
sorry but I've had trouble with my ancient macbook so photos maybe out of sequence, upside down or generally rubbish....
dis 1.jpg

dis 2.jpg

dis 3.jpg

dis 4.jpg

Attachments

• dis 1.jpg
    dis 1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 259
  • dis 2.jpg
    dis 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 259
  • dis 3.jpg
    dis 3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 259
  • dis 4.jpg
    dis 4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 258
I find it helps when it comes to re assembly to lay parts out in a logical order and take a snap. Helps when you get to the "errr where did this bit go" moment.
res 2.jpg

res1.jpg

And then start cleaning, degreasing, wire brushing, cleaning and more cleaning.....

Using a nut on the end of puller as the threaded shaft would disappear in the recess.
res3 .jpg

res4.jpg
Citric Acid bath.

Any questions just ask.

Attachments

• res 2.jpg
    res 2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 257
  • res1.jpg
    res1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 257
  • res3 .jpg
    res3 .jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 257
  • res4.jpg
    res4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 257
Super machines when up & working, I rebuilt mine 5 odd years ago & well worth the effort, have you given any thought to table adjustment once it’s up & running I only ask as the lack of rack & pinion is the only down side to them.
Best of luck.

when the time comes, I would be interested in how you get the bearings back on. I struggled with mine and it is still in pieces some years later as a result.

Something what I am planning with my own machine but at present I have no balls to try it. I will look for any updates and try to build my own courage.

marcros":2ogfzh1w said:
when the time comes, I would be interested in how you get the bearings back on. I struggled with mine and it is still in pieces some years later as a result.

Putting the shaft in the freezer & the bearings in a nice warm place for a while really helps Mark, did you not start stripping your drill in 2015 :-k

Doug B":1xn765ov said:
Super machines when up & working, I rebuilt mine 5 odd years ago & well worth the effort, have you given any thought to table adjustment once it’s up & running I only ask as the lack of rack & pinion is the only down side to them.

When I eventually get my MB4 up and running, I was planning to look at some of those counterweight ideas knocking around the web.

Doug B":83friyak said:
marcros":83friyak said:

Putting the shaft in the freezer & the bearings in a nice warm place for a while really helps Mark, did you not start stripping your drill in 2015 :-k

I said it had been a while. I even got most of it painted but just couldn't get those bearings back on. One day I will try the freezer trick.

Following your picture I tried to sort out my machines quill which is very stiff to move and the return spring can not operate it. I got it all out cleaned it. I could not find anything major what could impede the vertical movement. Put it back together with very small improvement.
I will be looking forward to your progress especially around the quill adjustment.

adrspach":7oxsaouk said:
Following your picture I tried to sort out my machines quill which is very stiff to move and the return spring can not operate it. I got it all out cleaned it. I could not find anything major what could impede the vertical movement. Put it back together with very small improvement.
I will be looking forward to your progress especially around the quill adjustment.

The shaft the return spring attaches to has a cog on it which transfers the motion into the quill assembly, if this gear is damaged or worn it will impede the quills travel.
If you look at this thread post931809.html?hilit=Meddings#p931809 the cog I’m on about is shown in the 15th photo down, sorry about photo bucket rubbish across the photos.
Also it’s common for the return spring to break which also prevents the chuck rising back up.

I have taken it all apart. I did check the spring- still in one piece. I cleaned the cog as well as the rack. There was nothing at all on the rack and a tiny amount of wear on the cog. Then I put it back together. Admittedly I have used only oil for greasing it up before the assembly but it is not dry as the felt washer on the bottom of the quill is quite saturated. I have re-tensioned the return spring which works ish but it is still quite stiff and sticky

adrspach":2bk3zfj2 said:
I have taken it all apart. I did check the spring- still in one piece. I cleaned the cog as well as the rack. There was nothing at all on the rack and a tiny amount of wear on the cog. Then I put it back together. Admittedly I have used only oil for greasing it up before the assembly but it is not dry as the felt washer on the bottom of the quill is quite saturated. I have re-tensioned the return spring which works ish but it is still quite stiff and sticky

Is quill sticky on the way down when using the handle or just when returning on the spring?

Cleaning scrubbing and sanding.....
res5.jpg

res6.jpg

res9.jpg

res10.jpg

Attachments

• res5.jpg
    res5.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 107
  • res6.jpg
    res6.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 107