MDF wardrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just finished another set of wardrobes and managed to remember to take pics of the onsite assembly .
I hope they are clear enough .
20122006252-1.jpg

20122006253-1.jpg

20122006254-1.jpg

20122006255-1.jpg

20122006256-1.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

Nice work, I know it costs more but ever thought of using MR MDF for your doors, I only use MR as it machines a lot better and is harder.

I don't normally get involved with the finishing as i really hate painting . This one was for a decorator i work with now and again so he made a nice job of it but some i have built get spoilt by the customer finishing it themselves :cry:
I keep meaning to try MR MDF but as i don't get involved with the finish its never on my mind when i buy the materials .

Very nice indeed JFC.

May I also ask what method of construction you used for the frame and panel doors ?

questions, questions......also, what do you have in place between the top of the face frame and the ceiling ?

Great finish too btw.....

There is a cornice going around the room so the top was left to allow for that .
The doors where made with the fraud cabinet door making set . A scribe moulding set with a raised panel cutter .

Great stuff 8) ! I almost feel inspired to make some myself.

Almost ;) .

Gill

Really nice job.

Was it difficult to get all the doors perfectly aligned as you have them. The spaces are equal everywhere, amazing.

What happened to the recessed drawers pulls you can see on picture 4 which are replaced in the final picture. I liked the recessed ones!

I used clip on kitchen hinges so lining up the doors was easy . As i made the wardrobe in the workshop i was able to get them most of the way there before they got to site , so it was just a matter of tweaking the hinges and a small block plane .
The face frame / fillet pieces are fitted after to be in line with the doors .

I gathered that they were scribed and fitted after the doors. I was just asking how you fixed them ?

6" wire nails :twisted: :lol: (hammer)
These ones i glued and screwed them but normally i use glue and a pin gun . I fix a battern onto the units and fix the fillets to that .

Really nice job, JFC.

I, too was gobsmacked by the perfect alignment until you revealed that the fillets were added after the doors. I'd never thought of doing it that way! I've always built a face frame in the work shop which is almost inevitably then forced slightly out of square when fitting. I'm going to try it your way next time!

I know you hate painting but wouldn't it be easier to at apply at least a couple of coats of primer before fitting? I'm lucky enough to have a spray booth so would completely finish the job prior to delivery. Your decorator has done an outstanding job all things considered.

It just goes to show that the much derided MDF has it's place in modern woodworking. For painted jobs like this it clearly outperforms solid wood.

Also, for all my love of working with fine hardwoods, I find that this sort of job in MDF is generally more profitable!

Once again, nice work

Brad

What happened to the recessed drawers pulls you can see on picture 4 which are replaced in the final picture. I liked the recessed ones!
Ahhh the customer didn't want to be knocking her legs on "sticky out handles" so i bought the recessed ones and fitted them . She thought she may break a nail using them so supplied her own "sticky out handles" :roll: :lol:
Brad , i have asked the decorator who did these to give me a price so i can add it to my quotes . I have tried spraying but my workshop is too dusty and i cant spray to a pro finish .

Latest posts

Back