MDF Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice - top and bottom panels removed and replaced with fresh panels screwed and glued. Pilot holes drilled as Studders suggested.

I did think of using traditional housing but was worried about getting decent cuts on this crappy MDF?

I also did a dry assembly on some of the panels with no problems so the glue must have caused the problems - I did drill them a few mm longer than required. I also think the Srewfix dowels are on the "large" size as they are a very tight fit in the Joint Genie jig holes?
Still will not make the same mistake again?
Thanks.

Rod

Harbo":29o99m3i said:
I also think the Srewfix dowels are on the "large" size as they are a very tight fit in the Joint Genie jig holes?

I find that dowels vary quite a bit from their quoted sizes. It's worth having a dowel plate and knocking them through the relevant hole before use. Also, if you make a saw cut along the length, as well as helping the excess glue to escape, it allows the dowel to close up a little if it is a tad over-size.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1v5ye5uw said:
I find that dowels vary quite a bit from their quoted sizes. It's worth having a dowel plate and knocking them through the relevant hole before use.

I agree, I find dowels fairly difficult to use when compared to some other jointing methods.
9 times out of 10 I find the drill bit supplied with the dowels leaves them too tight, the dowels could also have swelled slightly depending on how they have been stored etc.
Its worth making yourself a dowel plate. Get a piece of steel and drill a hole through slightly smaller than the dowel size and tap your dowels through so they are a snug but smooth hand-fit into the holes, and don't use excessive glue.

Biscuits are much better for this and if you are likely to work in this again then its worth investing in a machine...
Good luck.

Biscuits (for alignment) alternated with Spax MDF screws (for strength) work for me

Latest posts

Back