MDF or MR MDF for workshop benches / cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Do I need MR MDF?

I am going to be building cabinets / benches for my workshop, my current CAD below although this is now changing to sheet material carcasses (MDF obvs) instead of 4x2 structure as shown
WS1 sketchup.jpg

Prices quoted for the materials as follows:
  • 18mm MDF – full sheet £30+vat each
  • 12mm MDF – full sheet £25+vat each
  • 18mm MDF MR (moisture resistant) – full sheet £48+vat each
  • 12mm MDF MR (moisture resistant) – full sheet £35+vat each
what is the worst that can happen with non-MR stuff?

Martin

MRMDF would be my preference for a better finish and less tendency to split if screwing into the edges but it’s a big price difference. If you opt for plain mdf then make sure it is a quality one. Look closely at the edge. There should be a different look to the outer faces compared to the core. Be very careful with soft furry stuff from the sheds it just not have enough resin in it.

what is the worst that can happen with non-MR stuff?

Martin
The answer is M (for moisture). If you think they might get wet you could linseed or Osmo oil.
Handy hint - if you have machines like a combi or table saw its good to have your benching at exactly the same height so it can support one end of say an 8x4" whilst you pass the other end over the machine etc.

My bench top is three layers of 25 mm standard MDF, it has beech edging and I trickled some thin CA glue down the dog holes so they didn’t get mashed to bits when hammering in holdfasts. The top and bottom surfaces are sealed with oil based varnish.

It’s about three years old and is absolutely fine.

Back