MDF built-in question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I know it's not real wood but ... :oops:

If I was to make a large mdf fronted built-in, what would be the best way to ensure the joint between the sheets is not seen.

The mdf will be painted to match the walls and just the doors will be pine. Problem is the unit is bigger than one sheet so there will be a joint somewhere on the front.

I'm thinking of biscuits and then a small chamfer down each edge to produce a vee groove that can be filled and sanded. If this is a goer what's best to use as a filler? Just ordinary wood filler? Water or solvent based?

Or failing that, has anyone got a better idea

TIA
Cheers :D

Hi Scott

Filler generally won't work because almost inevitably the building will move or someone will drop something heavy on it, stand on it, etc. So you're probably best "designing-out" the joint as far as possible and disguising it with a decorative beading or some such or hiding it in a shadow area. This will also help make any minor discrepancies all but disappear. Lay-on doors, such as those commonly seen in kitchens, are good for disguising joins as well. You are probably as well to take into account how you are going to get it into the room to start with - even an 8ft long 3-sheet unit will weigh in at 150kg or so, thus it's a good idea to design your built-in as a series of smaller modules which can be mounted on a plinth and screwed together. All that then remains to sort-out is the top

Scrit

What thickness are you talking about? Anything over 12mm can be made pretty seamless with some careful biscuit jointing.

Scrit's point is the most valid one ie design it out or hide it. Have you got a design image that you could post so that we can see if there is a possibility of minimising the number of joint areas visible.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks guys.

I take your point about designing it out. In actual fact the idea is to use lay-on doors with euro hinges. Holes cut out of the mdf a bit smaller than the doors. The mdf is essentially just being laid onto a stud framework to provide really just a wall with 3 doors on it (and a roof). It's only a cheap and cheerful coat cupboard a la Changing Rooms really and is only temp for a couple of years because the room is way down the list of priorities but I'd still like to not be irritated by looking at a joint every time I pick out my jacket (I'm sure nobody else would even notice it!).

Sorry I've no pics Tim. They're in my head. If I line up the joint in way of a door then I'll only have anything showing for about 8" above and a couple below the door (between door and skirting).

I'm using 15mm mdf (cos that's what I have).

I was sort of hoping someone would suggest something flexible but sandable that could be painted but it's starting to look like a wee design rethink might be in order :?

:-k

Cheers

Scott":1hl6tb75 said:
If I line up the joint in way of a door then I'll only have anything showing for about 8" above and a couple below the door (between door and skirting).

Not sure I fully understand you. :?

If you have 15mm sheets then a good biscuit joint , a rub down and some good quality primer will probably leave you with a cleaner joint than if you overfill and don't sand it back perfectly.

Cheers

Tim

I'll go with the biscuits then Tim before I confuse you any more! :D

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Back