MDF and HVLP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just venturing into the realms of HVLP painting in my workshop although I have used HVLP for a number of years now at work I am pretty much of a novice at finishing furniture with it. Can anyone tell me what is the best sealer/primer for MDF. I know it has probably been asked a thousand times on here but I find the search engine lousy and never throwing up the correct answers. I have been told that there is some liquid that is quite thin that seals MDF in one coat and with a littel denibbing can then be overcoated with the final finish, has anyone heard of this? Apparently it is slightly milky in the tin but dries clear. Unfortunately he didn't know the name of it. :?:

What I do refers to hand painting.

Rustins and the like make MDF sealers which are like a sanding sealer that will soak into the edges and harden the fibres which can then be sanded down but this is again mor efor hand finishing.

I would suggest you decide on what make finish you are going to use then get compatible sealer and basecoat to suit, someone like Bolloms do a whole system, you can buy it here

Jason

Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks Jason for your input as I know your MDF furniture to be second to none and the finish always looks good on the pictures. I find it hard to beleive it is hand painted, very impressed. I have sent for some Johnstones MDF primer to see if this will do the trick. I am not too worried about the finish on this first piece as it is a test piece for myself well SWIMBO actually but would like to get to grips with finishing MDF. I will of course let you know how it goes. :wink:

Back