Morrell's through HVLP?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Designer1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Has anyone had any experience with Morrell's paints? Set up is a HVLP running off a compressor with a 1.8MM tip. I'm using Tikkurila at the moment but finding it to be pricey compared to Morrell's, and Morrell's has a much faster drying time.

Just wanting to know others past experiences and opinions on the stuff before I go and order 5 litres of it. It's for MDF, was never given a product code, it's a water based wood finish.

Thanks,
Designer1

I have used quite a bit of Morrell’s WB paint - all through my Fuji HVLP - it goes on very nicely, levels out very well and seems to be hard wearing. The WB primer is very good.

I have had Morrell’s colour-matched to Farrow & Ball colours and whilst if you look at the colour against the colour card etc, it looks spot on, somehow it just doesn’t look as good (depth of colour etc) as the real thing (I know this is a whole subject in itself). I would also say that side by side, the Morrell’s finish, whilst it sprays better than the F&B, just looks a bit more plasticky. Depends what you want.

I now have a AAA set up, but have not used the Morrell’s on that yet.

I would be interested in your experience.

Cheers

I have had Morrell’s colour-matched to Farrow & Ball colours and whilst if you look at the colour against the colour card etc, it looks spot on, somehow it just doesn’t look as good (depth of colour etc
I can't for the life of me remember the name / technical term, but the f and b has a certain pigment in it which gives that depth. I havent used f and b for years, but i used to hate it, seemed to need loads of coats.

I can't for the life of me remember the name / technical term, but the f and b has a certain pigment in it which gives that depth. I havent used f and b for years, but i used to hate it, seemed to need loads of coats.
Well, I remember Bugbear telling me the word - I just had to go back to look it up Why use farrow and ball paint

”Metamerism”

🙂

I use Morrells quite a bit. Omnia for Windows and stuff and water based lacquer for cabinets. It's good paint.
The water based are not as quick drying as the pre cat or acid cat but it's still good, better than Teknos in my experience.

Ollie

Hello

Has anyone had any experience with Morrell's paints? Set up is a HVLP running off a compressor with a 1.8MM tip. I'm using Tikkurila at the moment but finding it to be pricey compared to Morrell's, and Morrell's has a much faster drying time.

Just wanting to know others past experiences and opinions on the stuff before I go and order 5 litres of it. It's for MDF, was never given a product code, it's a water based wood finish.

Thanks,
Designer1
I haven’t personally but the company I moonlight for time to time use it all the time, never heard any complaints and the finish looks great

Thanks for the replies, gonna give it a go and will put the results here.

So, follow on before. Brilliant finish.

The water based primer and paint is good stuff, very smooth. I did a good sand and prep, 2 coats of primer without prep inbetween, a sand of the primer to get a smooth finish, coat of topcoat, sand and final topcoat.

You could probably get away with one topcoat but it’s not as durable and if the paints there in the tin it’s better on the project than the shelve imo.

Back