Mazda - thumbs up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Since the RX8 had it's last service, starting has been a bit 'heart in the mouth' as it's been very reluctant to fire. Once running it does go like the proverbial off a shovel :D though.

This morning, came out of the gym. Jumped in the car. Dead as a dodo. Me and the Mazda garage reckoned it sounded like the battery but when the AA man came and tried his, no joy. A bump start later and it fired up as sweet as anything. Drove to the Mazda garage who just had a mechanic finishing up on a job and so he was able to look at my car straight away. Found a loose wire to the starter motor solenoid but also commented that the rotary engine in the RX8 needs to turn very fast to start properly and that Mazda had replaced the starter motors under warranty on those cars that needed it.

My warranty expired three days ago :cry: My garage negotiated with Mazda who agreed to give me an 80% discount. Many manufacturers would have stuck to the letter of the warranty. Mazda didn't and so I'm pretty chuffed with them.

And the starting problem? Gone :D :D

Hi Roger,
You had me worried for a moment there me boy. I have heard sorry tales about rotary engines in the past, like as in when the tips of the rotors wear, they become impossible to start. Brilliant when actually running, but getting to that state :shock: ........Just glad all is well.

Mazda came through good for you eh? I'm a ford driver........STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: Can't see them doing that with three days left to RUN on the warranty. Enjoy your (tasty) motor Roger.

Cheers, Sliver.

sliver":2s0wpx88 said:
like as in when the tips of the rotors wear, they become impossible to start.

Ah well..they reckon they've cracked that problem by designing in a steady feed of oil to the rotor tips! Downside is you do have to keep an eye on the oil level :shock:

IIRC Mazda are the only company which perservered with Wankel rotary engine.

Are you saying the 'tip wear' problem is sorted??

If the answer is 'Yes' then wouldn't it be great if they married that engine to a Torotrak gearbox.

Latest posts

Back