Matt finish for old pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm making a set of cupboards and shelves out of reclaimed pine. The shelves will get fairly heavy use. Can anyone recommend a finish that will protect the wood, keep its original colour and have a matt finish so it's as unobtrusive as possible?
Cheers
Stewart

I'm not much on finishing but my first thought was a clear matt varnish maybe one that used on floors if it's really heavy use

then again may someone with a bit more know how will come up with a better idea

Ian

You can get some water based floor varnish that will do what you want or I used normal water base varnish for my bench and it has been fine :)

A while back Mylands were giving away samples of their new dead matt finishing oil, and it does do exactly what it says on the can. I haven't seen it on sale anywhere though.

No connection etc....

Thanks for the replies. Apart from using Danish Oil I have no experience of finishes and so am a little concerned that I might have made a costly error and used a finish that would ruin the effect I wanted. My childhood memories of varnish are that it is thick and gloopy and far from unsubtle!

I'll have to get a pot and try a sample.

Thanks again
Stewart

Back