Masur pot/box/form thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
My latest output from a nice toasty garage despite the weather!

It's masur birch with a walnut lid, and is about 6" x 4", with a wall thickness about 4mm.

The handle is old string, but it was put as a temporary thing until i decide whether to get some artificial gut or leather or something else...

Apologies for slightly dodgy photos, i need some practice i think!
The finish is actually quite gloss, with a smooth near-mirror finish on the masur, but doesn't seem to show in pics....

Anyway, critique and input appreciated.

masurpot004edit.jpg

masurpot002edit.jpg

Hello Ryan- whats all trhis about a warm garage eh!!! it was warmer in the artic last time i was there!!!

the form's o.k but i would have tucked it under more- the lid's a bit flat and dominates the diameter of the top of the form- maybe a lid with more height and a smaller diameter of golden proportions would have been more pleaseing

Photo looks ok, not spuds or otherwise lying around !

Very nice piece, Im not experienced enough to comment on the form , the wood is stunning.

How would a pi symbol shaped wooden handle suit rather than leather ?

Thanks chaps!

Garage temperature it would seem is somewhat enhanced by excluding drafts and whacking 2 big oil radiators in! I didn't get it sorted last winter, so am now feeling the benefits for the first time.

I deliberately tried to ignore thirds here as i was sort of copying a ceramic pot my sister owns. When i saw it i noticed it doesn't follow the rules, but i still like it.
I must confess to tapering the bottom a bit more than that though, so maybe i should have gone a bit more or not at all....

The lid was flat again due to the 'inspiraration' piece, but i see what you mean...

And i like the idea of a Pi finial! Very original!

Foos for thought there guys! Ta!

That's some very attractive wood you've used Ryan, personally I have no problems with the form it's both attractive and functional to me, and if you have created as near as matters a copy of a shape you found pleasing enough to want to copy I'd say job done.

I spent a few hours browsing in the Ashmolean museum in Oxford a couple of weeks ago and came away with a whole new raft of visuals to think about. Some so far out of kilter with my previous thoughts that I need to go back with the camera for a second coating of looking.

Hi Ryan,

I like this piece very much :lol:

I'm not experienced enough to say if it is the "correct" shape, but it looks good to me, and coupled with the lovely timber, makes a very nice piece, IMHO!

I think a piece of leather for the handle would look good.

Malc :D

Well, i like it, lovely shape and the lid is nice maybe a mm or 2 higher than the side walls but again personal preferance.
I know its temporary but i like the string lol gives it an oriental old school appearance an gives an age to an otherwise new piece.

Regards
Tony

Thanks very much for the kind words and suggestions.

I think i'll have another bash at this form at some point.

It was pretty quick to make tbh, maybe 2-3 hours total (well quick for me!).

The hollowing worked very smoothly with the roly, although i found the endgrain on masur quite tough unless you catch it from the side. Once i got going it was fine.
Not too easy for the central area though. I used a negative rake scraper, but anyone have tips for the roly in the middle?

It looks great, as everyone has said the wood looks great, and regardless of golden thirds or whatever, the piece as a whole is very nice and attractive. IMHO

However, I couldn't live with the walls rising above the lid, but that's OCD for you :oops:

Thanks!
I am toying with making the lid a bit higher next time, but again the lid sitting in a little recess was copied from the original.

It's a great excuse this copying malarky! :lol:

I like it as it is, th string gives a nice contrast to the smooth texture of the rest of it. Personally I'd leave it as is. You could soak it ( the string) in CA glue to stiffen it if you wanted to make sure it maintains it's shape and rigidity but personally I think you have a fortunate accident on your hands there.

pete

Bodrighy":2c6d23se said:
I like it as it is, th string gives a nice contrast to the smooth texture of the rest of it. Personally I'd leave it as is. You could soak it ( the string) in CA glue to stiffen it if you wanted to make sure it maintains it's shape and rigidity but personally I think you have a fortunate accident on your hands there.

pete

I agree, I think that the rough organic nature of the string emphasises the smooth formal nature of the pot. Definitely from the Mark sanger school of turning ;)

About the Rolly
I tend to take out the centre starting with the spindle gouge as a drill to depth then opening out with a scraper, using the Rolly on the sides to give me the width to work with and alternating with the scraper. Once it it all opened out the Rolly will do all the way round just blending the very centre again with the scraper.

I like the piece and will look out for some of the wood to try out

cheers

Colin

Back