Marples/Stanley Chisel Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,

I must admit I get a real kick out of turning discrded junk back into usefull tools. My workshop is a testament to the fact that I can't pass up an opertunity to put some new life into mostly old machinery. I can't move in there at the moment :( . Still the management has just given me permission to build an extension provided I builde her a new potting shed so guess what I will be doing in the new year.

James

Just given the 1/2" Marples a work-out - 16 mortices. Handles a dream, great balance and holding its edge very well indeed. The lemonwood handle has taken a lot of bashing from the KT mallet, which has a boxer's punch, it makes contact and just keeps going through.
Here's a pic, with the cutting gauge used to mark the mortices. I'm supposed to be doing a review - soon as poss, but in the meantime it's working very well.
ch-new.jpg

Attachments

• ch-new.jpg
    ch-new.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,450
Of course you do realise this is going to play havoc with old tool buyers in the future. "Hey, I just bought this old wooden handled chisel at the hover-car boot sale, and ..."

What's this fashion for handles with waists about? Everybody's doing it (except James above). Doesn't look particularly practical to me.
I think future old tool buyers will spot them a mile off and be searching for unspoiled originals!

Hi Jacob - I'm sure you know already that the handle I did comes from the U.S. Stanleys circa 1920, now re-introduced with their Sweetheart reincarnations. All LN did was start with that archive design and tune it a little. It's not a fashion. And before you knock it, maybe just try it first?

I'm not knocking it I'm just wondering.
The shape goes with a socket IMHO and is a bit weak with a tang. Not enough wood around it.
Yes I will try it if one ever comes my way (again) - I did have one that shape (and a socket; J Fowler Canada) but ebayed it as it looked like a collectable.
It is a fashion thing though, there's no denying it!

Jacob - close to very bored now. "It is a fashion thing though, there's no denying it!"
I explained that it wasn't, and why. If you can be bothered, explain why it is (a fashion thing). And defend your view that there is 'no denying it'.

p.s. I knocked merry sh*t out of my 1/2" today - it does not need a socket to work. Repeat, TRY IT, then spout forth.

At the risk of hoping that this thread stays on track.... i.e. a challenge to make wooden handles for old Marples and Stanley chisels....I am re-awakening it to say that mine seem to be multiplying.......

DSC_0220.JPG

....in the hope of making a usable set of the ones I regularly grab.

I kind of cocked up a bit...picked up a thicker brass stock than the first one....

DSC_0225.JPG

#-o (homer)

Bit late to change that now! Just got to wait until the beeswax to soak in (that's what's on it now...my turning ain't good but it ain't that bad!!)

Now all I have to do is make three more once I find a decent source of African Blackwood.

To me at least....they feel far better than the blue plastic originals...and the ding definitely does make a more positive stop for the thumb in use....no hypothesis there then!

Oh....and I rounded the ends off in the traditional manner....the flat end was uncomfortable in trials...you live and learn!

Jim

Jim

They look really well made and the 'thumb' grip looks like a good addition.

I have stripped a blade back but not got around to adding a new handle yet. Must get on with it.

Well done,.

Mick

A quick addition - an old U.S. Stanley socket chisel, which lost it's original handle a few years ago anyway (badly damaged when I got it). A new African blackwood one. I use this a lot as a parer and so the handle is quite long. One of my favourite and most-used chisels.
ch1.jpg

Attachments

• ch1.jpg
    ch1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,773
Ah...now that is cheating! :wink:

That happens to be about a dozen quality steps above the old Marples there mate...and it has a real socket. :mrgreen:

Mind you...the design looks vaguely familiar! :mrgreen: :wink:

Nice one! Well worth restoring if the recent thread for a "set" is anything to go by..........CLICKITY CLICK :mrgreen: :shock:

Jim

condeesteso":3ss5ji6u said:
A quick addition - an old U.S. Stanley socket chisel, which lost it's original handle a few years ago anyway (badly damaged when I got it). A new African blackwood one. I use this a lot as a parer and so the handle is quite long. One of my favourite and most-used chisels.
That's really weird. What's it for, druidical rites on the full moon or something? Spooky. :roll:
Beam me up Scrotty!

yes Jacob, I know it may look a little odd, not that odd for a parer* surely. But thing is it works very well - overall it's about 14" long. I'm not sure the 'original' handle was original anyway, but it was oak (and split). *Was this a parer anyway - it's like a thinnish b/e all-rounder, but it's quite a long blade. English parers (vintage) tend to be much thinner blades with bevels to nothing almost at edges.

condeesteso":3acl6kaz said:

That is likely a Stanley #720, which was the paring chisel of the #7XX types. They had longer blades and, I think, a little thinner than the better-known #750 bevel edge chisels (that LN later used as the basis for their bench chisel).

I put together a set of #750 chisels ... well, they were essentially blades only when I bought them (cheaply as a result), then ground the sides until the lands were very fine, and added longer handles. They are a very nice chisel, great balance, and hold a decent edge for O1-type steel. The wood is Western Australian She-Oak.

750modified.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

They are really very nice indeed, Derek. I wish I could find a set of 750s at a sensible price. I'm quite keen on the socket construction, and if my 720 is anything to go by (and the 2" I have) they are very good indeed.

Hi Douglas

Those Stanley were collected over a period of about 18 months, almost all on eBay (USA). The collectors want good handles. I wanted good blades, and so looked for those with poor or no handles. The 1/8" was ground out of a 1/4", and the 3/8 from a second 1/2".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks like I'm going to have to join in on this one. Doing some hand morticing this afternoon, I bust the yellow/orange 'Shatterproof' handle of my Marples 3/8" sash mortice chisel. Grrr!

Not altogether surprising after years of hard bashing with a big mallet, but I seem to recall that there was a lifetime guarantee on these 'Shatterproof' handles, even if you used a hammer.

Now then, where's that box of receipts from 1986? Maybe not, I suppose Irwin might replace it, but the old Marples is excellent steel, so I better make a new handle instead...

Any suggestions on what makes the best ferrules?

Sawyer":2ukuyhpc said:
Looks like I'm going to have to join in on this one. Doing some hand morticing this afternoon, I bust the yellow/orange 'Shatterproof' handle of my Marples 3/8" sash mortice chisel. Grrr!

Not altogether surprising after years of hard bashing with a big mallet, but I seem to recall that there was a lifetime guarantee on these 'Shatterproof' handles, even if you used a hammer.

Now then, where's that box of receipts from 1986? Maybe not, I suppose Irwin might replace it, but the old Marples is excellent steel, so I better make a new handle instead...

Any suggestions on what makes the best ferrules?

Depending on the size of the chisel of course...I use a 3/4" OD - 5/8" ID brass cased tube that I think came from a bootfair. There is one supplier on FleaBay CLICKITY CLICK

It's stronger than plain brass, cheaper and you can't tell the difference once it's on!

Cheers

Jimi

Back