Marples M148 doweling jig rods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feanorelf

Reaction score
Hallo... I happened to reach this site, being one of the few results googling for Marples M148.
I have bought one a couple of years ago, and loved it from the first dowel. But now, for the first time, the 6" rods are not long enough for the work I am going to do.
I planned to buy a couple of 1cm rods, but now I am afraid that maybe the rods should be 3/16" (my caliper is a very cheap and worn thing... I should get a new and better one :oops: ). Can anyone owing the same jig confirm me the rods diameter (if 3/16", in a very delicate way, because it would be a big problem for me to find that diameter here in Italy)?

Thank you,
Luciano

Saluto di benvenuto al forum, Luciano!

First of all I think you mean 10mm or 3/8", as 3/16 is about 5mm or so. As Marples are an old English company, and the dowelling jig has been around a long time, I would very much expect them to be 3/8", Imperial, rather than metric. However, unless the castings are hardened (and I don't think they are - isn't this the jig with hardened bushes for the drill bit?) then I think you could get rid of the 3/8" rods altogether and drill out for 10mm. The difference is less than 0.5mm, I think.

Worth a try if you are stuck.

Ciao
Steve

Steve Maskery":jzbowiul said:
Saluto di benvenuto al forum, Luciano!

First of all I think you mean 10mm or 3/8", as 3/16 is about 5mm or so.

You think right.
And yes... I believe drilling it out would be my egg of columbus.
Thanks!

feanorelf":tm4n21th said:
I believe drilling it out would be my egg of columbus.

:) I take it that is a literal translation of something Italian, is it? Uovo di Colombo? It's certainly amusing, I must remember it! Brightened my evening up :)

Glad to have you aboard.
S

Steve Maskery":3rv5sxyk said:
I take it that is a literal translation of something Italian, is it? Uovo di Colombo?

Actually I believed it international, here it is quite common: it is said that Columbus during a dinner challenged several spanish nobles make an egg stand on its end and no one succeeded. Then he broke a bit the shell, and the egg stood. The others complained that this way it was simple, and he replied that it is true: it is very simple... when you know how to do it.

Back