Marksmen turning chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amazilia

Established Member
Reaction score
Am about to get my first lathe, and am on a tight budget. I am looking at a cheap set of chisels while I learn the ropes, and have seen a Marksmen set of six for £50. They all look to be the right size and type for me although the skew chisel is only 1/2". I appreciate that they are not 1st quality but I like to have a "learning curve" and be more selective with a bit of experience

You'll probably turn most of what you turn for the rest of your life with six tools - but they won't be that six (or any other)! Can you get friendly with a turner or ideally join a club? you'll have a bit more idea what to buy before you start spending.

I bought a set of 8 Marples tools when I started, and they still get used. I've added to the collection since. But if I was starting out again and buying on a budget I think I would choose just the essential few from a reputable manufacturer. If you decide to give turning a go then you could choose either spindle or faceplate turning to start with, not both. That means you don't need so many tools - for example no roughing out gouge or skew for faceplate work, and no scrapers or bowl gouge for spindle work. That might allow you to get good quality tools (possibly second hand?) and keep within your budget.

Also, there is enough to get frustrated with when starting a new hobby without finding your tools are to blame, and I think cheap turning tools will be a major source of frustration. If you decide to go in for turning as a serious interest then you won't want to use cheap tools, so they will be a waste of money since you will be replacing them with decent stuff. If you decide turning is not for you then you'll need to sell on the cheap tools - who would want them? But you try advertising Crown / Ashley Isles / Sorby etc tools and see what the response is like.

My personal opinion - for what it's worth. Others may disagree.

Finally, I don't actually know what Marksman tools are like. You may get some favourable comments from other forum members. If the comments are unfavourable though, then don't waste your much needed funds.

K

Hi, when I first started turning I went for the option of a cheap set of tools and it did not take long to find out that they were useless. It's bad enough when you first start out, trying to get the hang of turning techniques but with poor quality tools it makes the task even harder. Have a look on the For Sale section of this site as quality turning tools are quite often put up for sale at very reasonable prices. I would advice you just to get the basic tools to start off with and you can expand as your needs require.

Agree with all the others, that would be £50 that you would be spending again in a hurry, cheap cutting tools do not do what it says on the box!

I have a set of Marksman bevel edge chisels, and if their turning tools are of the same quality - I wouldn't.
That Sorby set will be well worth the money, and will last possibly 3 times longer than the cheaper ones. I started off with one of the el-cheapo sets, and nearly came a cropper when the roughing gouge snapped off at the tang when it caught.
I bought a few Axminster Perform tools, because my budget only allowed me to buy one or two at a time. I still have them all, and they have stood up to my inept stabbing very well.

Taz you preempted my question. I was going to ask what perform tools were like and it seems they are fine.

Vic Perrin":t1uie4c0 said:
Hi, when I first started turning I went for the option of a cheap set of tools and it did not take long to find out that they were useless. It's bad enough when you first start out, trying to get the hang of turning techniques but with poor quality tools it makes the task even harder.
I Agree with all that has been said by Vic and most of the guys here I bought the cheapest I could I did it with my lathe also now im on my 4th lathe buying cheap makes sense at first to everybody that thinks is it for me but if you buy the best quality available to you that's a reasonable second hand price I don't think you will go wrong .I had the idea that it was a good thing to do now I own a vast array of tooling along with chucks but it takes time to aculeate and im almost sure once you try it will bite you hard and you will enjoy your hobby Rome wasn't built in a day and im sure there is guys here on the for sale section that will come up with tools that are surplus
Regards
Bill

Thanks very much everyone for all the advice, I have gone for the Axminster set at £71.50. It seems to be a really good middle of the road choice, and most people have positive things to say about Axminster. Just need some wood now !
Regards Terry

amazilia":1xerydnp said:
Thanks very much everyone for all the advice, I have gone for the Axminster set at £71.50. It seems to be a really good middle of the road choice, and most people have positive things to say about Axminster. Just need some wood now !
Regards Terry
This was my first set in January. When sharpened, which they aren't when straight from the box, I have found them to be more than adequate. I have several Henry Taylor, hamlet and Sorby gouges, but the original Axminster ones are still used every time I turn. The 3/4 Skew is a lovely tool and gets scary sharp on just a standard oilstone, although I use a wetstone setup with jigs for all my gouges. The spindle and bowl gouges have a very forgiving shape, the parting tool ok on normal sized work. I just can't get a sharp edge on the scraper, but that's probably me. All in all a super set.

Phil

Back