Marcou S50

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiktor

Reaction score
New Marcou S50:

Weight: 6.3 pounds or 2.85kg, Length of sole: 9.8 inch or 250mm, Width of sole: 2.5 inch or 63mm, Thickness of sole: 0.3 inch or 8mm, Sole material: O1 tool steel, Blade: D2 steel hardened to RC61/62, Thickness of blade: 0.2 inch or 5mm, Grind angle of blade: 25 degrees, Hone angle of blade: 30 degrees with slight camber, Height of brass sides: 2.4 inch or 60mm, Thickness of brass sides: 0.236 inch or 6mm, Bed angle 50 degrees.

Enjoy...

S50-1.jpg

S50-2.jpg

S50-3.jpg

S50-4.jpg

S50-5.jpg

S50-6.jpg

Javier":1y2aefd8 said:
The front tote seems extremely close to the screwcap. Seems it'd be a bit awkward in use.
:)
You are quite correct- it is much like a #3 or#4.
It is also a protoype.
As long as one does not impede the flow of shavings it functions well-one needs to grasp that tote from the front-same as #4.
While I was making them this question was nagging away at me- almost put them away in a dark corner..... but then I thought that if they passed my testing there would be a reprieve- and they did.
So no fancy bits on those two, like adjustable mouth etc, they are just plain workers that look and work well.

philip marcou":2lzv3tcs said:
Javier":2lzv3tcs said:
The front tote seems extremely close to the screwcap. Seems it'd be a bit awkward in use.
:)
It is also a protoype.
As long as one does not impede the flow of shavings it functions well-one needs to grasp that tote from the front-same as #4.
While I was making them this question was nagging away at me- almost put them away in a dark corner..... but then I thought that if they passed my testing there would be a reprieve- and they did.
So no fancy bits on those two, like adjustable mouth etc, they are just plain workers that look and work well.

Well they sure are gorgeous.

Phillip,
very nice...neat little package and interesting design.
from the pictures the blade is at quite a high angle (york pitch)with a BD design but no chipbreaker....have you cunningly fitted one onto the tip of the lever cap? or have you taken it naked and gone for the BD with no chipbreaker.

I was looking at using a thick blade possibly around 8mm and grinding both sides....one possibly at 25 degrees and the oppsite at maybe 15-18 degrees and slightly offset the 25 degree one. in other words meeting slightly off centre

using it in the york pitch with a BD and its opposite grind utilised as a chipbreaker...grinding would need to be very accurate though.
Did i explain that right. or am i really off my trolley or has it been done before and i havent come across such.

I

Thanks Ian. I went naked: at this stage I am not sure that a normal chipbreaker is worth the bother, so those two rely on a thick blade and a tightish mouth. Thick to me means 5 to 6 mm-thicker seems needless, plus the mouth starts to get huge.
However it keeps crossing my mind that the cap itself could do with some company in the form of a "shoe", which will do the work of a real chipbreaker if required by nusty woods. It is in the cerebral cooking pot at the moment.
Now that plan of yours re the blade grind has also crossed my mind, especially as I have recently acquired an antique surface grinder, but I had not got as far as deciding on angles. There would have to be an adjustable mouth because of the top angle-but that should not be a problem. There could be consternation amongst the sharpening fraternity-can you imagine??
Off your trolley- we all are... when will you churn out one of these graders- to prove that you are sane? :lol:

when will you churn out one of these graders- to prove that you are sane

a while away...too much work commitments to allow me to play for a while.

interesting idea of the shoe on the levercap....fitted and ground correctly i see no reason it wouldnt work.........I'll talk the other blade design over with Karl and see how long it takes before he thinks of a negative.

I

philip marcou":3oo4kb2p said:
It is also a protoype.
As long as one does not impede the flow of shavings it functions well-one needs to grasp that tote from the front-same as #4...
Quite a handsome plane, Philip!

Re the lever cap screw impeding the front knob. It appears to me from the photo that if it did bother someone, a few threads worth of the bolt could be ground away and I don't think it would then be an irritation--if it is in actual use.

It is quite striking. Love it. Good work!

Take care, Mike

Philip,
Had a word with K about the blade and he can see some plus's and minuses.....but no real reason it wouldnt work. i did a quick drawing in sketchup as a its easier to explain.
blade.jpg

I

Back