March Challenge - A supported Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
A Bowl - Supported or Suspended.

That is a bowl that has some means of preventing the bottom of the bowl from touching the surface beneath it. Leave it to the individual's ingenuity / interpretation to figure out how they will achieve that.

Any size.

Any Wood.

It may be made from one piece or made of multiple parts (preferably turned).

To be made on the lathe using wood turning tools.

Carving / sawing etc acceptable to form the 'support 'along with other materials if needed (cord, wire etc)

This months judge will be Paul Hannaby

Slightly extended end time to this month to include the Easter weekend for the last minute larrys :wink: (and also cos Paul may not have time to judge earlier due to other commitments.)

At the end of the month there will be the 'Post your entries here' thread. this thread will remain open for 2 days during which time you can upload the required pics of your entry, along with a brief note about how you made it, what tools and finish you used, what wood (if known) and the objects dimensions. (this helps the judge and plagiarists ).

Please post 3 or 4 images of your work / entry as follows...

1 showing a general view
1 showing the inside of the bowl taken from above.
1 showing the underside of your bowl
1 optional photo showing any other feature you think might be of interest

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same previous months

Please upload your pics and description between ..

10pm on 1st April
and
10pm on the 3rd April

After this time the thread will be locked for Judging
Results will be given on or around the 5th

Any entry's that are outside the rules and requirements will not be judged
The Judges decision is final ( Any negative comments re judging must be via PM only and not on the open forum )
NO Critique or comments on any work until After the Judging and results.

I expect there may well be questions about this month, if so post them in this thread. Dont be shy!

Best of luck

Hi Nev,

Is decorating the bowl (carving, stains, paints, pyro etc) allowed, or only on the support feature? I am also interested in piercing the bowl for the support feature - is this within the rules?

henton49er":1f6eme8d said:
Hi Nev,

Is decorating the bowl (carving, stains, paints, pyro etc) allowed, or only on the support feature? I am also interested in piercing the bowl for the support feature - is this within the rules?

Hmmm!

Scratch-Head.gif

I'll say yes to the decoration of the bowl (carving, stains, paints, pyro etc) if one is so inclined.
Piercing? - I think I'd like the 'bowl' to remain a functional bowl as opposed to a purely decorative item.
so lets say that the rim or top section of the bowl may be pierced decoratively or structurally but the finished bowl must be able to contain something. (pot pourri , M&M's, peanuts?) Does that make sense?

Finish does NOT need to be food safe.

nev":2t2en8vy said:
so lets say that the rim or top section of the bowl may be pierced decoratively or structurally but the finished bowl must be able to contain something. (pot pourri , M&M's, peanuts?) Does that make sense?

I'm OK with that, nev. I am looking at the means of anchoring the suspension mechanism to the bowl. Piercing the rim will be fine. My piercing would be an aid to the support (i.e. structural) rather than any decorative feature.

'a bowl that has some means of preventing the bottom of the bowl from touching the surface beneath it'

The bottom of the bowl meaning the bottom of the part that holds things? Rather than the underside of any part of the bowl as artifact. If you see what I mean, which I grant is a bit unlikely.

heatherw":l4elbfu3 said:
'a bowl that has some means of preventing the bottom of the bowl from touching the surface beneath it'

The bottom of the bowl meaning the bottom of the part that holds things? Rather than the underside of any part of the bowl as artifact. If you see what I mean, which I grant is a bit unlikely.

yes. so it could have integral feet for example but the lowest point of the rounded bowl would not touch the deck, one possible example being Rogers tripod below or something like this gleaned from google ...

4815Natural_Edge_Maple_footed_bowl_4_1_1-med.JPG

Started turning my bowl this morning; getting on well when all of a sudden it decided to visit the opposite wall of my tiny workshop, travelling at quite a high speed and doing itself irreparable damage on one of the fins of my portable radiator!! Back to square one - hope I get time to finish it now!!

henton49er":py2lpzyg said:
Started turning my bowl this morning; getting on well when all of a sudden it decided to visit the opposite wall of my tiny workshop, travelling at quite a high speed and doing itself irreparable damage on one of the fins of my portable radiator!! Back to square one - hope I get time to finish it now!!

OOOps #-o
just testing your reflexes eh mike?

loads of time left :mrgreen:

Hurrah!! Second attempt at the bowl stayed on the lathe - that'll teach me to try and have a spigot only 3mm deep!!
This time I used an oversized blank and had a full depth (8mm or so) of spigot. Should be finished in time now!!

henton49er":28eyoczp said:
Nev,

Will I get disqualified if I post 5 pictures rather than the mandatory three plus one optional?

I wont disqualify you but i dont know about Paul?
I have always been in favour of more pics because sometimes you cant quite capture everything you want in three, but thems the rules.
(maybe the plus one could be a 'collage' of two or more pics in one using PS or Gimp etc? still be restricted as to size but could get your 'points' across?)

nev":271h0twl said:
henton49er":271h0twl said:
Nev,

Will I get disqualified if I post 5 pictures rather than the mandatory three plus one optional?

I wont disqualify you but i dont know about Paul?
I have always been in favour of more pics because sometimes you cant quite capture everything you want in three, but thems the rules.
(maybe the plus one could be a 'collage' of two or more pics in one using PS or Gimp etc? still be restricted as to size but could get your 'points' across?)

OK, thanks for the advice. I will stick to just the four, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back