Maple for workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo-Star

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all

I've been on the lookout for some hardwood for my new work bench build "still in planing" I was thinking on using beach for the build, and because it's more readily available.
However I met a bloke today, who was looking to shift some maple slabs that he got from a demolition job that he was on. Anyway the guy has to many other project to be getting on with, and the maple taking up to much room, he wants to move it on. 2.4m x 1m x 70mm I haven't seen the goods yet so no pic's

£600

Away more than I'd need for a workbench, with a bit to spare

What do you folks think ?

I like maple. I'd much prefer a maple bench to beech. But that's only 6 cubic feet and £100/cube sounds waaay to expensive to me.

I also didn't know about woodworm liking it, but a gallon of probore to pre treat it would put that risk to bed.

I can buy kiln dried maple for £75 a cube so the price you are being offered is at least twice what I would pay

I wouldnt use maple for a workbench. Woodworm love it.

I was'nt aware of this wood worm issue in maple, Ive just been reading up on it, and also the precaution to protect against it, or rather help to prevent/lessen the chances of getting it.

I like maple. I'd much prefer a maple bench to beech. But that's only 6 cubic feet and £100/cube sounds waaay to expensive to me.

I also didn't know about woodworm liking it, but a gallon of probore to pre treat it would put that risk to bed.

My calc's on the dimension stated above were 1.25msq @ 6 cubic ft per bench, that would equate to around 8 benches £12/cft approx

That would come to $14.00Cad a board foot. That is at or more than new retail prices here. Even white oak is the same or less. I guess it is a no brainer that I would pass on it.

Pete

I can buy kiln dried maple for £75 a cube so the price you are being offered is at least twice what I would pay
Appologies, I did'nt mention above that there are 8 slabs included in the sale = 19.2m placed end to end in length, the maple came from a bowling alley and stored in his WS

I think ash is a good alternative to maple, it's worth phoning some timber yards before commiting to the maple, it is likely to cost less than £600. I'm more than happy with redwood pine for my workbench.

Appologies, I did'nt mention above that there are 8 slabs included in the sale = 19.2m placed end to end in length, the maple came from a bowling alley and stored in his WS

Funny how a couple little details can change your perspective. That brings it down to almost firewood costs. 😉 Bowling alley wood will have lots of fasteners in it so cutting and drilling etc can be hard on tools. They nailed/screwed each board together until the slab was wide enough and when the glue dried they were thicknesses and sanded. A little metal detector can be useful for locating them so you can work around the little beasties. You will want to use the cheapest of construction blades especially if you try to rip them narrower. If the shop has been heated they will be quite stable. I'd be tempted even though they have limits on what you can do with them. They will be heavy things to move and work with. Have fun if you do go ahead.

Pete

Funny how a couple little details can change your perspective. That brings it down to almost firewood costs. 😉 Bowling alley wood will have lots of fasteners in it so cutting and drilling etc can be hard on tools. They nailed/screwed each board together until the slab was wide enough and when the glue dried they were thicknesses and sanded. A little metal detector can be useful for locating them so you can work around the little beasties. You will want to use the cheapest of construction blades especially if you try to rip them narrower. If the shop has been heated they will be quite stable. I'd be tempted even though they have limits on what you can do with them. They will be heavy things to move and work with. Have fun if you do go ahead.

Pete
Hi Pete,

I was not aware of how these alleyways were put together, and heven't seen the slabs as yet. I will google the subject, to see what Im getting myself into, as the last thing I want is to spend good cash on "Is a pig In a poke" Maybe just take the one stab for the work bench top

The top of my bench is a 4" thick solid hard maple slab. No issues with woodworm in the 7 years I've had it, and it's stayed dead flat.

Maple in the USA has been in the 6 to 8 dollar a board foot range. How do you guys buy wood in England? By the cubic yard?

Bowlling ally’s are turned on end and nailed together so there are lots of fasteners. The good news is that they are built to show a harder surface than the face and the expansion is in the zed axis.

So a good hunk of alley is already an excellent bench. Glue three slabs up and you got a hell of a roubo.

I tried this but the ally I got had sat under an exposed roof where it had been damaged by water. So I was not able to use it.

https://www.briley.com/c-330-probore.aspx12 bore shotgun treatment seems to be a bit over the top for woodworm !! Or is the idea to fool any future worms into thinking the bench is already inhabited !!
Cheers
Andrew

One could argue that humping over a ton of wood and keeping it stored dry for who knows how long has some value. If you had done so would you give it away for nothing? 🤔

Pete

Yea imagine if you found / inherented a Ferrari, it doesn't matter what you paid for it it would still be worth just as much

Back