Makita 9404 sander: sanding frame & table jigs worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I've been promising myself a belt sander for ages, and sort-of settled on the 9404 as it's well made but with a bit of subtlety (speed control!). Being new to belt sanders, I was wondering about getting a sanding frame ("shoe" in Makita-speak), and the clamp for upside-down use (with a fence).

I was a bit shocked to find those two accessories, probably only available from Lawson HIS (only stockist I can find), will set me back well over £100. That changes the game a bit.

So, is it worth bothering? I know the Festool kit has frames (but it's way out of my price range), so if anyone uses a frame and/or a table-mounting kit for any sander, can you say what you think of those ideas?

Thanks,

E.

Eric,

for significantly less outlay I have been using a bench-top belt/disk sander for a number of years with no issues (I think it is a Delta make). This approach is more flexible than a simple "shoe", after-all you already have the portability of the 9404.(I also have the 9404)

HTH

Dave

Hi Eric,

very robust machine, must admit I rarely use the variable speed - I tend to use it flat out all the time!!

The bag extractor does a reasonable job and has to be emptied quite often.

I did some detail/edge sanding when doing the floors of my house - it did run away from me once - with the motor locked ON! - hit the skirting and bent the knurled tracking knob before I could catch up with it ... (hammer) (hammer) :shock: (which I have since successfully replaced).

The flexible platen(?) on mine now needs replacing so I am preparing for the shock .. (looks like some sort of graphite impregnated canvas/fibre, but bound to be expensive) but it has done quite a few miles of sanding. Very reliable and well made.

Perhaps you could consider making a "shoe" frame yourself?

Dave

If you want to use it as a static linisher why not go 2nd hand and buy a seperate purpose made machine along with a belt sander. As regards the Makita, I am on my 2nd 9403. I am guessing the first was over 30 years old when I handed it on to a friend. It was old when I bought it in a repaired state from a joinery company, and it just kept on going. The 9403 is an absolute dream of a machine. It is more expensive but again you could try for a second hand one, or new on e-bay for about the same price as the 9303 normally sells for.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

A proper linisher is a very sensible idea. I like the 9403, but it's really too big and heavy for the things I do, and the 9404 seemed like a good compromise between lightness of weight and quality.

I'm totally sold on the idea of pro- build quality instead of DIY though. I bought a BO4900V a couple of years ago:
341008_l.jpg

and I'm using it far more than I thought I would. But it comes into its own in finish sanding and painting prep., hence the keenness for a belt jobbie.

The only issue with a static linisher is really space - I just don't have it. I need to take some time to make some more benching really, but time hasn't permitted recently. It makes sense though - they aren't expensive, and they do give better results. I may go 9404 s/h, bite the bullet and get a frame - it should at least stop the thing digging in, in my inexperienced hands!

E.

Sportique":59ompjfg said:
Hi Eric,

The flexible platen(?) on mine now needs replacing so I am preparing for the shock .. (looks like some sort of graphite impregnated canvas/fibre, but bound to be expensive) but it has done quite a few miles of sanding. Very reliable and well made.

Dave

The parts are not that expensive :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Carbon ... 1e7617f77b

It's worth getting a frame as it helps greatly against digging in and aids getting a nice flat surface. Mine is a green and black model beginning with F and the frame allows the tool to be used for delicate work like sanding veneered work as well as heavy stock removal on a solid table top.

Cheers

Jon

I take your point, and the Mirka stuff is good, I know, but I already have an orbital (see above) and it's very good and if used with DX cuts beautifully. I wanted something that was one direction and controllable for coarse and fairly fine (pre-finishing) work.

We've got a good power tool shop locally, two in fact. I'll see this week if they can source the frame, er shoe, to match (both sell lots of Makita), and if I can get a decent deal for the sander and the frame together. £60 for a bit of bent metal like that is silly, no matter what the exchange rate is.

Latest posts

Back