Making The Future: A Furniture Exhibition (lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
After a little run down to Axminster's 'clearance sale' at Sittingbourne this morning, I thought I'd finish the day with a trip in the other direction, up to London to see this exhibition.

I came away buzzing. The place is jam packed with absolutely stunning furniture of the highest order. It was such an inspirational experience. It finishes this weekend, if you can make it, I highly recommend it!

Here is a small selection of pics (apologies for my diabolical photography).

DSC_1675.JPG

DSC_1673.JPG

DSC_1689.JPG

DSC_1690.JPG

This table is by Matthew Burt. My missus and I absolutely love it. One day (retirement?) I'll build something similar.

DSC_1695.JPG

Here's a close-up of the way the top is laminated\veneered. I really like the way the edges of the thick veneers are 'exposed'.

DSC_1698.JPG

This piece is also by Matthew Burt and I'm equally in love with it.

DSC_1711.JPG

The top is made up of dozens of pyramidal carvings which make it total impractical but there was something really quite tactile about it.

DSC_1712.JPG

DSC_1714.JPG

David Savage was there and we had a very brief chat about some of Alan Peters work. This was one of David's exhibits, the 'Gracie Chair'

DSC_1681.JPG

I was really quite taken with this chest of drawers by Sarah Kay. Sadly my photo doesn't do it an ounce of justice. (I didn't have my white balance set right.) It's made from the most gorgeous ABW with beautiful swirly grain which just flows all over it.

DSC_1687.JPG

..and finally they have a few of Alan Peter's pieces there. I took a snap of this detail on a long dining table. It ran along the long edge of each side and around the ends. It was absolutely immaculate but also clearly done with hand tools.

DSC_1718.JPG

Sorry Mr Peter's, I'm 'avin that. :lol:

More and larger pics here. I'll post more here if required.

What a thoroughly enjoyable day. Just goes to show the skill and craftsmanship that's happening in the furniture making world. I hope it lives on.

hi tom again

just spotted that, what sort of show did you say this was ???? the naked leg behind the table please ?????. hc :lol: :lol:

hehe, I didn't actually get a pic of that, but it was a naked women's body cabinet.

Wizer - thanks for the post - interesting stuff

Although a litle remiscent of G-Plan furnitue from the 70's i do like the glass topped table you snapped... very nice

Thanks for sharing and glad you had a good day

Thanks Tom. Some lovely stuff there. I'm not a big Fan of David Savage design normally but i love the chair. Stunning shape and lines.

Agree, excellent stuff, always like seeing what free thinking modern designers are producing. Savage's chair was especially good I thought

When I arrived a nice lady told me to sit in the chairs. "Chairs are for sitting in", she said. I did sit in some but didn't have the bottle to sit in that one. It looked comfy tho.

The Burt pieces do absolutely nothing for me (and never has done, even though his 'shop is just up the road from me) and the Savage chair is hideous IMO (as is a lot of his other stuff) The chest of drawers is pleasant but the best piece by far (from what I can see of it) seems to be the one by Alan Peters...and they don't come any better - Rob

Must say i think (from photos) Alan Peters stuff always seems to have such a subtle feel - unique, immaculately made, great feel for the wood but none of yer over the top design that's not strictly functional. Honest you could say.

I'm not all that wild about bling in furniture......

I made it along to the exhibition last week and as Wizer said it was inspirational. I've seen pics of a number of the pieces in mags or on web sites but when you see them in the flesh and can open doors and drawers you can really see the skill that's gone into making them.

Did you stick your head inside the infinity model by the front door?

Phil

woodbloke":21vl1vvd said:
The Burt pieces do absolutely nothing for me.

That's interesting. I too was really taken by the simplicity of Matthew Burt's table, with the conical base, and I too love the detail of the thick veneer being visible. And the pyramid texture on the top of the chest looks amazing. I'd love to find out how he does it (and perhaps I will!).

But then I like texture in woodwork, and agree that the detail on the Alan Peters table is beautiful.

Nick

Nick Gibbs":15ybz8c7 said:
I'd love to find out how he does it (and perhaps I will!).

Nick
This has been documented somewhere in F&C on an article on Burt. I used to work with a maker who had spent some time with this character and found him to be pretty unpleasant as I recall (some years ago now) - Rob

Nick Gibbs":2qycfm2x said:
I'd love to find out how he does it (and perhaps I will!).

Me too, and how does he sand it? :shock: I assume he does the pyramids with machinery somehow as I didn't detect tool marks and they were perfect. IMO they didn't need to be on the side of the cabinet tho.

Did you cover the exhibition for the mag Nick?

We featured a three stand-out pieces at the show, but I rather wish we'd shown more, thinking about it. Have a look at britishwoodworking.com and you'll notice we've used a dramatic example on the cover.

I suspect the pyramids aren't sanded, and come straight off the cutter or blade. I'll see if I can find out.

I'm not quite sure what the 'pleasantness' of a maker has to do with anything, Rob, or did I read that wrong??? I doubt many of the most creative folk through time have been particularly nice.

Nick

Yeah. As the playwright Tennessee Williams said: "Exorcise my demons and you may throw out my angels as well."

Nick

Nick Gibbs":1yg1bu9h said:
woodbloke":1yg1bu9h said:
The Burt pieces do absolutely nothing for me.

That's interesting. I too was really taken by the simplicity of Matthew Burt's table, with the conical base, and I too love the detail of the thick veneer being visible. And the pyramid texture on the top of the chest looks amazing. I'd love to find out how he does it (and perhaps I will!).

But then I like texture in woodwork, and agree that the detail on the Alan Peters table is beautiful.

Nick

I assume it is cnc done. It would certainly make sense to do it that way.

Mattty":1sw5id2y said:
I assume it is cnc done. It would certainly make sense to do it that way.

Would people be interested in us doing something about CNC in the magazine? How much it costs? What you need? Can you get it done by a third party?

Cheers

Nick

Back