Making end panels and doors for wardrobes and alcove units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil2010

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you make end panels for wardrobes and alcove cupboard that look like these do you think he has used euro inset hinges for the doors .What thickness mdf is used for the doors, they look like the rails and stiles have been planted on a sheet of mdf. The alcove units have no shaker style end panel ,how do you think these are made.

I haven't looked at the you tube links, however I can recommend 18mm thick MDF for doors. When I have made shaker style doors I have used 22mm thick timber and 9mm thick mdf panels.

The first link are 12mm doors with 6mm strips applied, carcases likely to be 18mm board again with 6mm strips applied

Second link 18mm board with applied mouldings.

Yes Inset hinges

Personally I prefer to make shaker doors with 22mm MR MDF styles and rails with a 9mm panel set into a groove. For smaller say kitchen doors you can get away with 18/6mm combination

Jason

Yes it looks like it is just MDF with the rails and stiles glued on top. On the alcove unit it is MDF with mouldings glued on. Simple job of making a box and prettying it up with mouldings stuck on. :wink:

Thanks guys,just need to know how the side panel is made for the alcove cupboard ,would it be two 18 mm sheets of mdf and some 2x1 sandwiched between them.

The way he has made the doors is a bit of a cheat as said above he has planted the rails and stiles on to another sheet rather than making proper doors. Not taking anything away from it hes still done a good job I used to make them that way too back when I did my private jobs as an apprentice but now I make them with rails, stiles and panels and loose tongues on the rail joints. I dont think the end panels look right like that when they are made to look the same as the panel doors looks too fussy in my opinion

Yes Phil you can just make them up the way you say a 2x1 mdf sandwich

phil2010":1gss4th8 said:
Thanks guys,just need to know how the side panel is made for the alcove cupboard ,would it be two 18 mm sheets of mdf and some 2x1 sandwiched between them.

I should think thats the way hes done it two boards with some packing between.

Unlike chippy I like to panel my endpanels once they get over about 250mm wide. I do tend to use the applied strip method for end panels as you can leave the strip that goes against the wall loose and over width then its easy to scribe to the wall and pin & glue into place.

Jason

Thanks again,jason i see from a previous post that you did not start of as a woodworker, how did you learn the trade,looking at your work which is excellent are you just gifted or did you retrain cheers.

So where did learn the tricks of the trade,books or from another woodworker.

I always helped my father around the house as he was quite handy and a sparks by trade and I had no trouble getting my O Level woodwork & metal work. And although I was in the building industry but not the practical side I was always interested in watching the other trades and would talk to the guys on site.

Didn't read that many books but when I went self employed back in the late 90s I did watch a bit of Norm, This old House, Bob Villa, Hometime etc. The rest I just picked up as I went along.

Jason

Back