Making Dowel in some quantity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of dowel. some months I may use 360m + of the stuff.
I'm rapidly getting fed up with the commercial manufacturers or one in particular, that being Cheshire Mouldings who quote a tolerance of +/- 1mm on a 6mm dowel !!! For sure I'm experiencing about a 50% rejection rate on the material I'm buying. I've tried but just can't get a 6.8mm peg in a 6mm hole :evil: In fairness their 9mm is much better. It just looks like they can't be bothered to reset their 6mm machine.

So thoughts on setting up to make my own and produce a 6mm dowel that actually measures 6mm in the round, not oval or with big ugly flats on it.

Looking for recommendations on machinery. I know I could do this with a router, half round bit and jig for small cost but what about moving up a gear. Then I could actually do 6mm in hardwood to match the things I make.

I read somewhere about doing it on a wood rat using a drill driver to spin the wood against the router bit as its advanced

Have a look at veritas- they do a few options, but their dowel maker might be most suitable given the quantity that you are using. At the moment, fine tools in Germany seem to be the cheapest source of veritas.

Thanks fellas
I had a look at Veritas but they are imperial and Fine Tools are out of the smaller sizes.

The one I saw on line had a self feeding setup and was bench mounted. Not the whacking great machine that I envisaged.

Failing mechanisation, anyone know a reliable supplier? I'll get some Burbridge stock in and see how that compares in the short term.

The make or buy question has come up before for hardwood dowels. At least once the answer was to buy them from Plugit Dowel who supply in retail or trade quantities. Worth contacting them for some samples I reckon.

http://www.plugitdowel.co.uk/

I'll give them a try Andy
Just for reference the volumes I'm talking about. Take a bundle of 50 dowel, chop into 115mm lengths. Sand both ends and drill a hole dead centre. With the right dowel this convert them all to the finished item in a little over 2 hours i.e. 500 ish per hour.
The toss up then is between consistent bought in lengths to process or as much mechanisation of production as I can afford.

Just got a quote of a UK manufacturer at over £2k plus another £200 for 6mm cutters, plus VAT. A wee bit too steep for me at the moment.
Jon

AndyT":wc4cnuzk said:
The make or buy question has come up before for hardwood dowels. At least once the answer was to buy them from Plugit Dowel who supply in retail or trade quantities. Worth contacting them for some samples I reckon.

http://www.plugitdowel.co.uk/

I've had items from them a number of times. Always been accurate and good quality.

It's not making accurate dowel that's the problem, it's keeping them accurate as the moisture content changes. When I turn drawer pulls I make them and fit them in the same day because the turned tenons go oval before your very eyes!

+1 for plugit dowel. I like their plugs as they are short just 6mm or so tall and come as singles, so no need to separate and they bang down enough to just sand.

Hopefully they may be able to do a special run for you, even if you have to buy a few months worth.

A dowelling machine would be big money, unless you can find a second hand one and tooling might be expensive.

Back