Repetitious task - Resizing dowel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to buy off Cheshire mouldings but they're fairly low quality and I got to rejecting 60 percent as being rubbish.
Moved to Burbridges. I'd buy maybe 750m at a time.
Burbridges have recently changed their supplier and now their 9mm dowel is about 9.2/3 dia on average. Bit of a pillock when it has to be a loose peg in a 9mm hole. Maybe their new supplier is of the American market and compromising between 9mm and 3/8th.
Changed supplier again.
Anyways I cut the lot into 120mm pegs.
The pegs are a finished product so can't be machine handled for fear of marking them. Other than reducing the tip diameter a hint.

Anyone know of a gizmo I could just bring the first 1" of the peg to and resize it to just under 9mm.
Ideally I visualise something like a parallel blade pencil sharpener I can set in a lathe chuck or similar. Or maybe a belt sander jig of sorts?
Have to take the peg to the power as it'll be hand held for speed and repetition.

Needs to be a quick and easy solution as I could be doing 1000 at a time.

Block of wood with a hole drilled for a sliding fit for the dowel, sand away part of the block until you reach the hole. Clamp it to the disc sander. Feed the dowel in by hand turning as you go. Once setup you will get perfect sizing everytime, fast and easy.

Back