Making Best London Pattern Octagonal Chisel Handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly":f92qpkvg said:
Looks like you're in for an easy day, Chas :lol:
Not likely - I've shown how I do them now. But we dunno how Chas'd approach it, do we...? Mwahahahahahahaaaaaa :twisted:

Paul, there's that list again. :roll: :lol:

Colin, about time we get a chance to see one of these carving tools you keep mentioning. [-X Too bad we can't get the toolmaker too though :(

Anyway, glad you liked it, folks, but please remember how much the camera lies. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1de26x2c said:
Paul, there's that list again. :roll: :lol:

You youngsters :roll: Get to my age and you'll know about lists - and the lists to remind you about the lists :? Bet I have more lists than you have chisel 'andles :shock: :lol:

Paul

Alf":37ww3943 said:
Philly":37ww3943 said:
Looks like you're in for an easy day, Chas :lol:
Not likely - I've shown how I do them now. But we dunno how Chas'd approach it, do we...? Mwahahahahahahaaaaaa :twisted:
...snip...

Don't do flat bits, 'andles should be round and curvy like a good w---- :wink:

Alf,

Seems that I'm a little late for the serious part, but nonetheless, congrats Alf, your handles look gooooooooorgeous. =D> =D> And this one for the last pic =P~

Friendly wishes,

Marc

Alf
Believe me,
I would be there if I could but I will be training that weekend ( I will be in the sea doing Karate for some it :roll: ,) so when you all are joying the tools and talking, I guess you will not be thinking of me.

I will try very hard to be there for the next one, I was looking forward to it but for me the wrong weekend :(

Colin C":2kiwlh45 said:
I will be in the sea doing Karate for some it
The mind boggles... :shock:

Paul, please, please don't tell me the list thing is age-related. I'd forgotten I had a list until you mentioned it, and then I spent five minutes looking for it when it was hanging up not three feet from my nose the whole time. #-o

Cheers, Alf

Alf":ixnvcvig said:
Paul, please, please don't tell me the list thing is age-related. I'd forgotten I had a list until you mentioned it, and then I spent five minutes looking for it when it was hanging up not three feet from my nose the whole time. #-o

He who laughs last.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2gcdmzzl said:
and I'm not sure pink chisels will catch on :shock:
Speak for yourself...
pomgirl.gif
:lol:

Alf":1a1bn2yu said:
Paul Chapman":1a1bn2yu said:
and I'm not sure pink chisels will catch on :shock:
Speak for yourself...
pomgirl.gif
:lol:

I think Pom Pom Girls' needle is stuck!

All I get is "U-R-U-Y-I-U-R-U-Y-I-U-R-U.........."

Hey Alf

Great tutorial!

We will know whom to blame if we see a large number of chisels suddenly turning up on eBay with LPO handles! :lol:

Incidentally, regarding the question about burning in tangs: I do not do this preferring to drill and, if necessary, to use a little epoxy. I aim for a stepped mortice but have a little non-Neander shortcut. Basically, I drill a hole the length of the tang with a bit (sized to the lower tip of the tang) using a power drill. Using the same bit, I simply widen the hole using a triangular motion/action. I leave the mortice fractionally undersized (so that there is about 1/8" protruding - any more and you risk splitting the handle), then hammer the tang home.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back