making a windsor chair Axminster video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting video.

What struck me was the capital-intensive approach to chairmaking and the quantity of tools and machinery needed.

One of the great virtues of the Windsor chair design is that it can be made with a small set of basic hand powered tools, with no noise, dust or danger.

Some time ago I went on a short course at Clisset Wood (which I would heartily recommend) - have a look at their website http://www.greenwoodwork.co.uk to see the contrast. Instead of being inside an industrial unit, you are out in the woods where your timber comes from. Chipping away at a seat with an adze is not "the hard way" as disparaged by the machinery merchants; it's a quiet, skilled way where you can think about what you are doing and concentrate on getting better at it, with no need to put your head inside a motorised bucket to keep the dust out.

I don't mean to say that the Axminster approach can't produce nice chairs, and I know that they sell hand tools as well, but for me, I'd rather work the quiet way.

I think I'd prefer a week outdoors too, maybe it's me but a whole week spent under artificial light does'nt appeal. The workshop build section always recommends as much natural light as possible? (saying that my workshop is a cellar...)

....Like the link to the chainsaw carving courses in t'wood next door....

Cheers!

Happy woodworking w/e to you all....

Back