Windsor chair leg

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hand Plane

Established Member
Reaction score
Attached is a view of an upturned Windsor chair (which has had a hard life!). The front let is slightly loose; the rear leg is rock solid; the stretcher between them (just out of shot) is also rock solid.

Any suggestions how to inject glue, or other method of fixing the front leg in its socket, without disturbing the stretcher or rear leg?

I won't try to remove the rear leg as in another life it has been secured with a large nail through the side of the seat. Removal would cause more problems.

Attachments

• Chair view.jpg
    Chair view.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Remove any glue from the socket and lightly sand.
Lightly sand evenly all round the top of the leg,
Reassemble, ensure leg is driven home.
Use a chisel same size (near as possible) to width of leg in socket, tap a line into top of leg.
Cut a wedge about 8" long tapering from around 6mm, square off the tapered end so its about 0.5mm
Helps if the wedge is drier than the chair wood
Drive wedge into chisel line, you'll hear the sound change when it's far enough.
Glue isn't strictly necessary but can be used
Cut off wedge, level leg to seat, re-level whole chair.

Remove any glue from the socket and lightly sand.
Lightly sand evenly all round the top of the leg,
Reassemble, ensure leg is driven home.
Use a chisel same size (near as possible) to width of leg in socket, tap a line into top of leg.
Cut a wedge about 8" long tapering from around 6mm, square off the tapered end so its about 0.5mm
Helps if the wedge is drier than the chair wood
Drive wedge into chisel line, you'll hear the sound change when it's far enough.
Glue isn't strictly necessary but can be used
Cut off wedge, level leg to seat, re-level whole chair.

Wot he said...... but personally I'd re-glue all the loose joints, including the stretchers.

Look carefully at the joints above the seat and repeat as necessary.

Maybe I haven't made it clear. The stretcher is rock solid both ends. The front leg as illustrated is slightly loose, and I don't want to disturb the solid rear leg. To get to the socket of the front leg means disturbing both stretcher and rear leg, so trying to fit a wedge as suggested above is not going to work.

If I can stiffen up and glue the front leg somehow without disturbing the stretcher or rear leg that is the target required.

You didn't make it clear, You asked a question and we told you.

If one glue joint goes on an old chair..... it's only a matter of time before the others go. Just like the one with a nail through it.

There's a difference in a half-a-job..........to get it out the door and doing it properly.

It's your chair, after all.

It might've been churned out in High Wycombe, but even if it was, it looks like a fine chair. Solid elm seat - have you tried to find any elm lately? Legs & spindles might've been cleft & turned in the woods from beech by bodgers. It's priceless, in a way. And it's already been abused by the aforementioned nail and who knows what inappropriate adhesives.

Give it the honour it deserves. A judicious rebuild. That nail shouldn't be there! It's offensive.

A thoroughgoing repair will be more than short-term - and the piece may outlive you and give pleasure and solace to many. Bite the bullet.

Back