Making a Door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any books, online articles or how-to's to make doors? I need to make a couple for the workshop - glazed frame and panel is probably the way i'm going, but I don't know a great deal about this. Any links and resources would be much apprecated.

this is what i'm doing Byron.

back-doors.jpg

not very elegant i know, but it'll do the job and hopefully be chuinky enough to be very secure. Plus I can insulate it.

thanks for the pics guy's - what wood are those doors mailee? And your glass panels - were they one big panel with the wooden detail on top, or individual square panels?

Wizer - will you be using 2x4 and then sheathing ply for yours?

they are just standard Redwood Byron. The panels are double glazed and the window details are indeed on top of the glass just for effect.

yep 2x4's and probably 6mm ply then shiplap. Poly carb windows (or you could just buy the wickes pre-made windows.

Mailee - thanks for the info, just a couple of questions:

1. How thick are your doors?
2. What actually is redwood? Is it something that buildign supplier sell or would I have to go to proper wood yard?

Wizer - I think like you i'll be going for polycarb, I like the strength and security protection that it gives. 6mm Sheathing is quite flexible, are you lining the inside door at all?

yeh inside will prolly be 12 or 18mm wbp and then the door can be insulated and things hung off the back of them.

I've now decided to build the same sort of doors at the front too as we decided the roller door was too expensive.

byron not sure if the book is still in print but carpentery and joinery by peter brett will show you how to make doors and the like. got these (3 books, one for each year)when i done my apprentiship. try ebay may bet them on there

I believe that Peter Brett's first two books were revised and reprinted either late last year or early this year, lugo (ISBN 0748785019 / 0748785027 - publ. Nelson Thornes Ltd), don't know about the thisrd volume though. The other good books are the equivalent 3-book C&G set "Carpentry and Joinery" vols. 1 to 3 by Brian Porter (publ. Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd ISBN 0750651350 / 0750665041 / 075066505X respectively) which have also been revised in the last 2 or 3 years.

Scrit

Thanks for the book titles guy's. None on the bay at the moment, but amazon have them, just a wee bit expensive for me at the moment, but looks defiitly worth me picking them up if i want to try and gain entry into the industry.

What discipline does making doors and windows fall in - would it be the job of the carpenter of the joiner?

Hi Byron, My doors are about 1 1/2" thick. Redwood I am not sure if it is available at builders merchants but you should be able to get it at your local timber yard no problem. Hope this helps. My windows are all pre double glazed units I had made to my sizes which were quite cheap really at just under £80 for the lot. I do have a polycarb one at the rear though as my garden overlooks a golfcourse! :wink:

Back