Making a bobbin sander with drill and sanding drums.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpetmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm increasingly yearning for a bobbin sander, eg for sanding curves on boards cut on the bandsaw. Money is tight and I figure I could knock together something good enough with my makita SDS drill, a cheap chuck, and some drum sanding attachments.

I guess I just need to make a jig to clamp my drill vertical, with drum poking through a hole in a flat surface, maybe MDF would do for now.

Any precedents and tips?

I have them in a pillar drill. I made an MDF base which locates on the table with dowels and has a hole in the centre. The drum drops down into the hole, and the work can be rested on the bed to keep the sanding at 90º. It works pretty well. I've no idea how you would do that with an SDS drill, but I'm pretty certain that controlling the speed would be a nightmare and the noise would be horrible. Remember that your face would be quite close to the source of noise...
I'd look for a cheapo pillar drill, and use that.

I hope this is not a hijack, it is not meant to be :!:

Smudger - I do the same with my pillar drill, but I often wonder what damage is being done to the bearings with all the sideways forces :?: Afterall a pillar drill is built to deal with vertical forces

Or maybe this is not an issue

Dave

Sportique":1jeedayr said:
I hope this is not a hijack, it is not meant to be :!:

Smudger - I do the same with my pillar drill, but I often wonder what damage is being done to the bearings with all the sideways forces :?: Afterall a pillar drill is built to deal with vertical forces

Or maybe this is not an issue

Dave

You beat me to it.

IMO would definately cause premature wear in the bearings of an sds drill which is intended to accept end, not sideways pressure. Presumably the same for a pillar drill but I suppose if you buy a cheapo and use infrequently could replace if necessary without breaking the bank.
I personally would not use my Makita or DeWalt tools for that purpose.

I did, some time ago sucessfully fashion one to fit my spindle moulder. Can't remember exactly what I did so would need to look it up.

I've been using it for a few years, and no problems yet. I'm careful not to put huge lateral pressure on it, though. You don't really need to.

I agree Smudger, I've used an old B&D drill that's 40 years old and no slop. It may be because "they don't make them like they used too" and newer drill would be susceptible.

Shultzy said:
"they don't make them like they used too" quote]

I can't imagine a modern drill lasting 40 years..........bet you've had your moneys' worth out of that then!

Hi,

Drills use ball races just like the ones in my motorbike front wheel and they accept sideways forces, so I don't see a problem with it, it might be the particles of grit floating around that cause damage, but I can’t see you generating enough sideways force to cause damage.

Pete

Shultzy":3nwtsf1n said:
I think the only issue is with a pillar drill when too much sideways force might loosen the quill.

Yeah, it's embarrassing when that happens. :whistle:

But seriously, most of the force in a drum sander is torque. If you forced it into the wood, so as to loosen the taper, you wouldn't get a smooth result.

I've got one of those el-cheapo foam drums that takes sanding belts and goes in a drill. It's great, but really too big for fine work.

Axminster do these though:

CS25_l.jpg

And a smaller version. They look expensive for what they are, but they do get good reviews, and they do take ordinary sheet sandpaper (I think). I haven't used them, but I'll be looking round for a better price, I think, as they ought to be on the list really (I have a pillar drill and the chuck stays in the quill most of the time).

To follow on your comment about fitting any sort of paper, how is that done ?

I bought one of the cheap drum sander sets Screwfix I think and they work well in the vertical drill - I'd never thought about sideways force but I suspect it may be small. Axminster obviously don't think it's a problem as the Carol advert suggests the drill.

Rob

OldWood":2xhgy391 said:
To follow on your comment about fitting any sort of paper, how is that done ?

Rob

Rob,

IIRC, Cut the raw paper to size using the olriginal as a template, then wrap it around the body and slip the ends into a recess. This recess is then clamped using ahex key.

Rewgards

Dave

(later) Sat down for breakfast with the tool catalogues this morning (concealed behind the cover of an old edition of 'Playboy', naturally, although she's usually busy with the puzzle page from yesterday's paper).

There are a number of cheaper places to buy a kit of four drums, the biggest difference being at least £20 (pays for the shipping!).

Ax... may not be the best. Tilgear are loads cheaper for individual ones (but don't have sets), and Rutlands (sets) must be in solid platinum.

I got a decent looking set from rutlands only £12.95 at half price, check them out:
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-too...g/sanding-drums/DK2047/25-pc-sanding-drum-kit

They come with a selection of ready made sleeves, to slip over the rubberised drums, in sizes to suit a dremel up to a bigger drill.

My problem is I don't have a pillar drill either, that is also on my list (probably top of the list). Money really is tight so I'm trying to make do.

trumpetmonkey":11v397cs said:
I got a decent looking set from rutlands only £12.95 at half price, check them out:
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-too...g/sanding-drums/DK2047/25-pc-sanding-drum-kit

They come with a selection of ready made sleeves, to slip over the rubberised drums, in sizes to suit a dremel up to a bigger drill.

My problem is I don't have a pillar drill either, that is also on my list (probably top of the list). Money really is tight so I'm trying to make do.

That's the other sort, which take sleeves rather than cut sheets. They're still eye-stretchingly expensive tho:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Abrasives/Power+Sanding/Drum+Sanding+Kit+1350mm/d130/sd1790/p15110.

My guess is that Toolstation's replacement sleeves would probably fit your set too.

Eric The Viking":h4hcgpcb said:
. . . . They're still eye-stretchingly expensive tho:

Sanding Kit with 20 sleeves £7.51 and 10 belts for £2.40 - what were you expecting to pay? :shock:

I have a set of 5 or 6 Carroll Sanders plus others that I use on my pillar drill. Removable insert in sub table. Keep the abrasive clean with a crepe rubber cleaning block, use the right grade abrasive and don't force the wood into the drum. I set them up in the lathe at times, that does have better bearings.

So what you're saying, Erik the Viking, is that I got a bit shafted by Rutlands - that toolstation set appears to be identical, yet much cheaper than the 'half price' offer from Rutlands.

Latest posts

Back