Make another one.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
Nice little job this week, make a dozen drawer knobs to an existing pattern, I had to copy the one on the door and leave a 12mm dowel for fixing. This is a small job for a cabinet maker friend, who almost invariably uses Oak, the kitchen units he is refurbishing are all Oak, so he got me four lengths of Oak to make the new Knobs, not till I told him today did he realise that the original is Pine! I don't think it will matter but it depends on what the customer thinks.

Makes a change from Colouring bowls and balls though, even bowling balls! :D

Attachments

• DK-2.jpg
    DK-2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 934
  • DK-3.jpg
    DK-3.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 934
I really don't like that sort of job. Copying any more than four and I do it but not willingly. Obviously haven't got the patience like you and Richard F LOL.

Pete

A good ego booster there Kim, always good to live up to a friends esteem.

I always approach such with a certain amount of trepidation, but must admit usually find myself completing them easier than envisioned and it's a great feeling when handing them over.

But why is it there's only just enough wood to complete the last one and you could have sworn there was ample before you started.

I sort of get into a kind of rhythm Pete, it helps!

I think it's gremlins Chas, they nick the last bit!

One at a time WM, but off a length of wood, so each length made 4 pieces, the wood was held in the long jaws of a patriot chuck full length for the first three and brought out to the dovetail for the last one on each bit of wood, so they are free turned rather than between centres..

Kim your draw knobs look great,I personally do quite a bit of copy turning it is after all these sort of jobs that help make a turner, and as a professional I cannot choose what I can and can't accept through the door as every little job helps pay the bills. It also marks a clear difference between craft and professional turners in my opinion. More spindle/production work the easier the day will pass.
And these comments are just my opinions.
Nick Arnull.

It does separate the truly skilled turner from the 'hobby art' turner. If most of us get a catch or whatever we can change the design and pretend it was always intended to be the way it is. ( hasn't taken me long to learn that has it :) ) Copying has to be right, no ifs, ands or buts, no excuses, get it right or own up to a lack of ability.

Yurs goes without saying Kim.

I would be tempted to change all the knobs to oak.......

Nice bit of copy turning though, and an immense amount of skill & patience. I get lucky sometimes and manage to get 2 bits quite similar.
I really should put some effort in and practice more.

Back