Maguire Wagon vice - how close to the edge can you mount one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arutha

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a new workbench. I've settled on using the Maguire Wagon vice.

I want to get the row of dog holes as close to the front edge of the workbench as possible. Preferably within 5 cm, or so, from the edge. But is this possible with the Maguire Wagon vice? Judging from the photos I've seen, it should be possible to mount it fairy close to the edge. But I'm not sure about this.

Anyone with such a vice that can comment on this?

I plan to laminate the bench top using 2x3 (45x70) lumber, but have been thinking of adding a 1x3 right at the front edge to get the dog holes really close to the edge. But I don't know if this is possible.

An alternative would be the Veritas quick release tail vice, which I fitted to my bench. With that you can probably get the dog holes closer to the edge of the bench than with a wagon vice

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I fitted a Maguire Wagon vice to my bench, the fitting instructions specify exactly how close you can safely go, I forget exactly what that limit is but on my bench the centre of the 18mm dog holes are 82mm from the front edge of the bench and the front of the wagon vice "slot" is 60mm from the front edge of the bench.

Another option is the Veritas Inset Vice, which I've fitted in the latest issue of BW. Mine is about 4in from the edge so that the line of dog holes don't interfere with the bench's top front rail (which I'd like to remove). I can't see why this vice couldn't be right up to the front of the bench, with the dogs centred on the vice and about 1.5in from the front. I also invented a wagon vice using the mechanism from a Sjoberg bench once. That was a couple of inches from the front.

Cheers

Nick

Back