magnetic bit holders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Are all magnetic bit holders similar?

I want to epoxy a short, medium and long into wooden handles, but have no idea whether there are good and bad ones or if all are created equally. The idea behind this is so that I can hollow grind some slotted tips to perfectly fit what I need and it seemed like a nice little project.

marcros":1z433ltb said:
Are all magnetic bit holders similar?

I want to epoxy a short, medium and long into wooden handles, but have no idea whether there are good and bad ones or if all are created equally. The idea behind this is so that I can hollow grind some slotted tips to perfectly fit what I need and it seemed like a nice little project.

I can say with confidence that sometimes the little magnets at the back of the hole can get crushed and broken. :(

I don't know if/how this varies with brand.

BugBear

Like every thing, never buy the cheapest or the most expensive.

Pete

The only issue I've had with magnetic bit holders is when I work them hard in impact drivers- they get a bit sloppy after a while . I've a couple cheapo ones in a 10.8 screwdriver and they've been going for years without any issues. I'd have thought just hand using it any would be fine ;)

If you use a magnetic bit holder aren't you going to have problems with ground metal building up all over it? Perhaps a small drill chuck may get rid of the problem, and hold the bit more securely?
xy

xy mosian":32945fcw said:
If you use a magnetic bit holder aren't you going to have problems with ground metal building up all over it? Perhaps a small drill chuck may get rid of the problem, and hold the bit more securely?
xy

That might work, but it would be at the cost of significantly reducing the ability to turn screws where access is limited.

I actually had to buy a long reach "normal" pozi-2 screwdriver because there wasn't (in an important situation) even enough room for a magnetic holder.

BugBear

You're right of course BB. I read the OP as a method of holding bits for grinding primarily, not for 'real' use.
As for tight spaces one of my favourite screwdrivers is a N0. 2 Pozidriv with a ratchet. I have not seen its like recently.

xy

xy mosian":35brrqar said:
You're right of course BB. I read the OP as a method of holding bits for grinding primarily, not for 'real' use.
As for tight spaces one of my favourite screwdrivers is a N0. 2 Pozidriv with a ratchet. I have not seen its like recently.

xy
For tight spaces my favourite is a Yankee e.g.you can get it near perpendicular on screws in sash catches close up to the glass, and similar situations.

Back