Machinist Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thinking on there.....would one put ones planes in a chest like this or is this tool chest just reserved for the rest of ones arsenal! :lol:

It could end up being a fair old weight if you put all your planes in!

SimonA

Some assorted links that may help/inspire. I may be repeating here, so apologies if so:
http://www.smithsonianlegacies.si.edu/objectdescription.cfm?ID=168
http://americanhistory.si.edu/toolbox/machin.html
http://www.woodcraftplans.com/u788.htm
Popular Woodworking also did one last year, which appears to be lifted straight from their book "Building the perfect tool chest" by Jim Stack. Terrible Normite practices used of course, but it seems to solve the locking front problem without recourse to special hardware. Tiny picture here.

Cheers, Alf

SimonA":2i13j7at said:
Just thinking on there.....would one put ones planes in a chest like this or is this tool chest just reserved for the rest of ones arsenal!

who cares ? the important is to actually MAKE the chest ...

SimonA, what about the thickness of the timber ? Thinking of 1cm (3/8") ... would it be enough ? And since I don't want to use ply wood or veneering, how would you suggest to make the back of the carcase ? Frame-and-panel ?

continues...
Alberto

Alberto.....3/8ths is what I was thinking of, I have a load of 1" boards that I'm going to resaw so I'll probably end up with 3/8ths anyhow.......I might do the sides out of 1/2" because these are the things that will have to take most of the weight.

As for the sides and the back......we could have frame and panel or just have breadboard ends like they have here:

3013D-C%20main.jpg

This is the look and feel I think I'll be going for in my chest(above pic). I'm not sure if I'm going to build it with a smaller footprint and have it twice as tall or just go with what you see in the pic.

oak52-kit-02.jpg

You can also see how they join the bottom into the sides in this pic.....bottom right hand corner.
On the diy chest they sell it doesn't even look as if they have breadboard ends!!

You can also see from the pic that Noely has posted that the central vertical dividers are sitting in dado joints. You can see it from the large chest in the top of this post too....

SimonA

oak52-kit-04.jpg

This is starting to get interesting, a really nice chest.

Noel

Hooray ALF
Yes I agree with you, some look classy and some can get over fussy, which spoils the look. Still I guess its a personal thing :wink:

Bean

Hi,
This is an interesting thread cause I am considering the tool storage issues of a slightly damp garage and many old tools that need protecting.

The chest you are all considering was for a machinist tools. Does this mean that the drawer height would suit woodworking tools. What would be the best heights for drawers. Would the smaller drawers be large enough for some tools eg. Starret combination square. With all its bits would need about 43 to 45 mm in height plus a bit for clearance ect etct.

What are your views on drawer heights for such a cabinet.

What tools do you envisage going into such a chest.

regards

as SimonA is suggesting... measure your tools before starting to chop !

By the way, I understand thet the bottom of the carcase is jointed to the sides with dovetails, uh ?

Cheers
Alberto

From what I can see in the pics the bottom is sitting in a housing joint(if this is the correct name for it :? )

I would do as we have suggested earlier on and measure all your tools to start off with......probably better safe than sorry!

As of the kind of tools.....well I'm going to be putting all of my marking and measuring tools, chisels, saws, and probably one or two of my planes in there too.....most of it is going to be built with tool expansion in mind!! :lol:

SimonA

SimonA":2avzgzro said:
From what I can see in the pics the bottom is sitting in a housing joint(if this is the correct name for it :? )

mmmmhh ... look closer to this pic ...

chestrepair.jpg

hmmmm......not wanting to start a fight here fella :D but that looks like a finger joint to me....to square to be dovetails.(but that could just be my eyesight)

I think what this goes to show us is that theres more than one way to build a box!!

SimonA

SimonA, after drawing down a first sketch a doubt came to my mind: must the front lid be completely retractable under the drawers ? From the pictures the front opening seems rather larger (higher) than the upper lid, so...

Cheers
Alberto

P.S. I ordered the timber: it will be oak !

Alf,

thank you so much for your answer. May I abuse once more of your direct observations ?

How the hinge pins are fitted in place ? Are they removable ? From what I can see (from the pictures), the pins are fitted into holes in the lid's wood so once they are in place... in which way can the lid be slotted into its lateral rails ?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Alberto

Hinge pins? If you're describing what I think you are, then the M&W differs from what you have in mind, I think. But as my brain immediately turns to sludge as soon as I try to form a mental image from any description, I dunno... Help. Someone? :?

Cheers, Alf

so sorry...: my English is definitely inadequate ...

I was thinking of this

hingepins.jpg

Back