Machinist Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mantrakalas":v93kkrsh said:
so sorry...: my English is definitely inadequate ...
No, no. The description was fine. It's my brain that's inadequate! :oops: :lol:

Yep, it's as I thought; quite a different solution to my M&W one. Mine has a rebate in the bottom rail that just drops into a groove. No pins at all. So no help here I'm afraid. :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf":29uclnnq said:
Mine has a rebate in the bottom rail that just drops into a groove. No pins at all

mmmmh ... why not ? much simpler and equally strong. Good idea. Thanks a lot :D

Alberto

I lost my Moore & Wright chest when I left it with my brother in South Africa because it would have taken up over half my weight allowance on the plane.
I inherited my fathers a few years ago that he had used since he worked on aircraft engines in WW2.
I had no key so will have to replace the lock.
It may be a bit dirty after over 60 years but is as sound as a pound.
(Now where do I put all the models he was making and kept in the chest?)

Hi Alberto......Sorry to reply so late....from all the pics I've seen of these kind of tool chests the front panel doesn't seem to sit all the way inside. I think it sits in all the way to the back of the chest and it doesn't matter how much tends to stick out of the front. A lot of them usually tend to make use of the front panel and have a piece of leather on the inside to lay your tools on.

Hope this was of some help?

I started cutting the oak for this project the other night and I'm now just going to sit and let it stabilise of a while whilst I finish off the plans.

SimonA

Found this while I was looking for something else - thought it might be of interest. Putting the guy's email name in The Porch search got me this message. Four years later isn't too late to take up the offer, surely? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Cheers for that Alf......the biggest problem I'm having is working out sizes for drawers and what should go where.....and planing what things I would like to purchase in the furture and where it will go........and how I'll pick the bloody thing up when its all finished.....I might have to put it on wheels!! :lol:

I think I might just stick to building large items of furniture, its a dam site easier!

SimonA

aeeeh !!! just received all the hardware from Lee Valley (thanks Rob), including the spring closing finger for the front lid :D .

Now I can start cutting !

Be back in ... , say, ... six months (uh ?)
Cheers
Alberto

Huh!.......Bummer....I still have to finish the design of mine!! The more I think about it the more I'm going towards the idea of just full width drawers.

What design have you gone for in the end?

Could you tell me what hardware you purchased?

Cheers

SimonA

houtslager":1goh704s said:
here you go guys :twisted: buy this and use the timber for summint else

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?sid=V5715&offerings_id=11172

jamais !!!

Simon, here's the list:

Items shipped:
1. Pr Locking Spring Pins (05E1101) Qty - 1
2. Pr 3-3/8" Cast Brass Chest Handles (06W0201) Qty - 1
3. (4) 1-7/8" Bottom Corners (00S6401) Qty - 1
4. (4) 1-1/2" Rounded Corners (00S6403) Qty - 1
5. Pr Large Trunk Hinges, 1-1/2"x2-1/2" (00S6602) Qty - 1
6. Pr BP Draw Catches (00S7001) Qty - 1
7. Main 04/05 USA Catalog (UW0905) Qty - 1
8. Hardware Catalog 04/05 US (UH05) Qty - 1
9. Early Christmas 2004 USD (UX1004) Qty - 1

My project plan is very similar to the Gerstner houtslager is mentioning. I will be using 10 mm oak tablets (before they become bent like shrimps). What about you ?

Cheers
Alberto

Back