Machines in Machine shops (rant)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further to my earlier post about the problem I had with Axminsters Sittingbourne store, in fairness I did not mention that this was some time ago.
The current manager of the store has contacted me to let me know it is under his (new) management (since last summer) and he has suggested I attend their new Catalogue Launch Event on 12th & 13th September (Friday & Saturday).
The fact that the manager of the store has responded to my post is for me a good indication that things may have changed for the better so I am going to go along and give them another chance.

Martin.

That's odd Martin, no Axminster manager bothered to contact me...

Green":3j5nueuy said:
Think yourself lucky, I dont have a decent tool shop anywhere near me. Axminster would make a killing if they opened a branch up here...

You mean apart from the saw centre next to Haymarket station, Lanark Saw services, engineering agencies in Dunfermline, Burhouse near Perth, the record dealer in Perth itself and another machine place in Falkirk. :)

wizer":mg0djqeh said:
That's odd Martin, no Axminster manager bothered to contact me...

Hi Wizer,
If you feel inclined perhaps you could call the store, ask to speak to the Manger (I think his name is Mike, the email is on my other PC which is at home so I cant be exact) and explain your disappointment with the machine set ups.
He seems to want to do the right thing, if there is a problem with "his" store and you don't tell him then it makes it more difficult for him to do anything about it.
Yes I know if he is doing his job right you should not have to tell him, but I live in the real world and accept that sometimes what should happen does not always.

Martin.

p!!!dom

I said near me. Perth is about 2 hours from here, Dunfermline is over an hour away and Falkirk similar. The Saw Centre I havent been in since I was an apprentice, Is it any good?

Green":16pfp88y said:
I said near me. Perth is about 2 hours from here, Dunfermline is over an hour away and Falkirk similar. The Saw Centre I havent been in since I was an apprentice, Is it any good?

Huh. You guys in the Central belt have it easy! Garioch is 3 hours from <anywhere>!

Green":2i3maidu said:
p!!!dom

It's small and the prices or steep but they did stock many premium brands (Startrite, Minimax etc). It's been a while since I was in myself. Wouldn't buy from them because of the prices but handy to see a machine in the flesh there and then order online. There also used to be a place at either West Linton or Penicuik I forget which but it's been a while since I've heard anything about them. They stocked Record too. There's also used to be a wood place down your way. They actually make wooden feet for sofa's but often the odd board but mailnly blanks for turners. EA in Dunfermline is pretty good. They stock all the main brands, Dewalt, Bosch even Festool. They have lots of Trend cutters and saw blades so they're good for consumables and their screws and fixings are cheaper than Screwfix. Worth a trip if you're over that way. Burhouse is more purely woodworker orientated but again theres a big focus on turning. I can get to Dunbar from the Airport easily in 40 mins, Dunfermline's only 15mins more. Much faster now they have dual carriagewayed the whole thing and removed the tolls from the bridge. You must be on the SE extremity of East Lothian to make Dunfermline an hour away.

To the guys from Scotland... I'm pretty sure the Saw Centre does not exist at the Haymarket location any longer. Engineering agencies is pretty good for the run of the mill stuff but I really do wish we Scots had a good place to go for the higher quality or niche items. Try looking for a good set of lip and spur or sawtooth bits or a Lie-nielsen replacement blade in Scotland....

I understand there probably isn't great demand, but I would surely appreciate and offer my loyalty to a shop in Scotland that supplied fine woodworking tools.

Mike Hancock are you listening? How about a CHT scotland? :D

andy

When I lived in the south east it was usually reckoned that civilisation ended north of Watford! :oops:
But I can assure the problem is not confined to Scotland chaps, same here in west Wales, but I moved here so I can't complain.

Roy.

Yep, Saw Centre at Haymarket has been closed for a while, as has Simes in Falkirk.

And I still miss Humes of Perth. :cry:

There is also Saw and Tooling Services in Edinburgh. Excellent machine and power tool repair service. And they sell Festool .......... :D

Dave.

That was it Simes. It didn't close just moved to a bigger place around the corner last year (unless in that time they've gone bust). It was much more difficult to find the new place.

Latest posts

Back