• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Machine run time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

strat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a camvac extractor and the instructions state the filters should be cleaned every 20 hours of run time. Any suggestions how this time can be recorded as when turning, I switch the machine on and off depending on what I am doing? Please bear in mind I am on a budget and need to do any installation myself. I have another extractor I leave running for background dust collection. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated, many thanks in anticipation.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Consider cleaning them when you empty the camvac. If that is too often, do it every other time. I think that it is only a matter of blowing out the filter anyway isn't it.

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
What Marcros said :)

It really isn't critical and too often is better than too little.
Just take your best guess or use the stopwatch on your phone to total up the ON time over (say) an hour of your normal routine, then scale it up.
I bet once a week, once a fortnight or once a month will turn out to be close enough and easy to remember :)

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I have a record with similar filters, I vacuum the filters using a brush attachment on the Henry every time I empty and then do a thorough dismantle and clean ever 5 empties or so. The paper bags do quite an amazing job of filtering. If you generate a lot of chips from a planer/thickness then it doesn’t really clog the filters at all, but the sander does.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the filters work more efficiently when blocked to some degree but I dont know whether that is correct.

(efficiently in terms or particle size filtered out rather than other meanings of the word)

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the filters work more efficiently when blocked to some degree but I dont know whether that is correct.

(efficiently in terms or particle size filtered out rather than other meanings of the word)
That is called filter conditioning. Fine particles get trapped in the fibres reducing the size of the openings, which increases the ability to filter finer dust. With the further trapping of dust you get a reduction of airflow as more and more of the surface becomes blocked so the filters are shaken or back flowed to remove the dust cake that builds on the surface to keep them working properly. Frequent cleaning keeps the airflow up but not to the extent that you try to get the filters as clean as new. If they are cleaned as new they will take some time to be reconditioned once more and if cleaned hard you risk damaging the filter media allowing more dust to get through. Some filters are not meant to be cleaned.

Pete

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
It really isn't critical and too often is better than too little.
Imagine you are a manual writer. "We need to say something about cleaning the filter. OK, but we need to say how often or people will ring up and ask. Hmmm, 20 sounds about right ......"

Once upon a time I had a Ford Granada (company car when it was tax efficient). Service intervals 6000 miles, Audi and such were 12000 miles. Then the next model year Granada came along with 12000 mile intervals. I knew a senior development engineer on Ford UK V6 and asked him over a glass of ale what engineering changes they had made. We ran our test fleet on 12000, didn't get any more failures than on 6000 so it was just one: the words in the handbook.

These things are often a balance between the interests of marketing and dealerships/service engineers, each with different priorities and no single right answer.

strat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, some wise words which make sense, I won't be so concerned about the 20 hour limit.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
If it’s any conciliation I just cleaned my triple motor camvac after 10 yrs of hobby use!