Machinary being broken up?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this as well, makes me sad, :( those old Wadkin cast iron machines will go on almost for ever, if shown a little tlc. :-s

yep i saw that, he's got a couple of union graduates. It doesn't say where in Kent, or even if the kit is still in Kent.

Last year I collected a group of like minded metal working enthusiast to take machines away from a school being re-furbished.
They had 3 lathes and a power hacksaw and have been quoted over a grand for a scrappy to remove them. I got to find out and we paid the school a modest amount and took them away ourselves.

In the school environment, old machines have no book value; add to that they usually have to pay silly money to get rid of them so quite often machines are dumped outside the buildings to rust. Whilst we were collecting, we spotted a shaper outside and were given that as well. Over the last few months my pal has got this going but has had to make a number of parts from scratch.

Yes it is a crying shame but understandable how it happens.

Bob

It's a crying shame :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Perhaps we ought to write to school authorities as a club to think of us first before calling scrap merchants.

John. B

It's being going on for a long while - about 20 years ago I bought a ML8 lathe, work bench and a Meddings pillar drill from a local school who deemed the stuff too dangerous for the kids to use?
My friend bought their ML7 - he got there first! :)

But at least they did not scrap them.

Rod

This guy actually trades from Northampton, he also purchases of ebay as well, he bought a wadkin lathe I was interested in, however got caught in traffic on my way home to post a bid.

I think he places different UK locations in the ads to show e.g. where he can deliver to

If I remember correctly he also ships abroad

What I find is his advertisement posts are really confusing i.e. thinking you are bidding on a full lathe when in reality you are only bidding on a faceplate or chuck

This is always a real shame 'cos you usually find that 'what goes around, comes around again' so whilst it's truly lamentable that schools are getting rid of good kit, they'll probably need to replace it again when the fashion changes within the 'ejukayshun' plotters and schemers pea sized brains - Rob

Back