M27.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Established Member
Reaction score
Listening to the BBC news at ten, I learn that the reason for widening the M27 and installing overhead gantries at spur joining lanes is to offer motorists the opportunity when joining a slow moving traffic queue to use that hard shoulder and join fast moving traffic and also be automatically charged for this priviledge (42p per mile was mentioned) but if all motorists do this then the hard shoulder will become slow moving and the normal road traffic will pick up speed for no charge at all, :?

Do I look at things obliquely or am I just dim? I just can't see the reasoning behind this, don't mince words folks, I'm willing to be educated here if I'm talking rubbish again.

Regards,

Rich. :)

I really don't see the sense in opening up the hard shoulder to motorists as a "fourth lane" in any respect. What happens when there's a broken down card ahead - on the hard shoulder, where it should be - and car's are changing lanes again???

Oh well, you know what they say about governments and being short-sighted, not prepared for the future, always looking for a quick-fix and all that.... :? :roll:

To me it's like Thorpe park where, on entering the park and purchasing a go anywhere and on any ride ticket, you can also pay an above normal premium price to save queueing and go straight onto a ride, well, if you take this to it's natural conclusion and everyone bought a premium ticket then everyone would once again be queueing up. :?

Rich.

I travel along this section of the M27 most days. Although they have added an extra lane for a short section this merges back into three lanes at the top of the hill in both directions. So, if you are travelling in the outside lane you have to merge left into the slower moving traffic. The result is that the traffic often bunches up more than when there were only three lanes. For traffic entering the motorway at this junction there is now a lane that doesn't have to merge right. There have already been a fewaccidents in the outside lane to middle lane merge - good job the crash barrier was upgraded :shock:

It's difficult to see how if you where already on the motorway you could use the hard shoulder. Traffic using the hard shoulder would also be likely to be travelling faster than normal motorway traffic which doesn't seem sensible. There are junctions within a couple of miles in both directions as well so I can't really see how it would help traffic flow here.

Andy

Rich":1u5otya0 said:
but if all motorists do this then the hard shoulder will become slow moving and the normal road traffic will pick up speed for no charge at all, :?

Do I look at things obliquely

Rich. :)

Not at all - I'd say you were perfectly correct.
As an example,Southampton Docks,several years ago,was always congested - turn-round times were not unknown to be ten hours :shock:
To combat this,they introduced an "express lane" whereby you paid money (£10,I think it was) to be in and out in an hour.
Within a year,everybody was using it,and it was back to the same slow service :(

Andrew

Precisely the same thought occurred to me as well Rich.

Roy.

If that happens, if people are acting rationally* they ought to stop using it and paying for nothing, at which point it works again, etc.

*fat chance, so it'll be another tax on the irrational. Oh well.

Where's the M27?

I though all motorway numbers began with a '5' or a '6'

:wink:

Seriously, my folks travelled on a stretch of motorway down south somewhere last year where the hard shoulder was utilised as a lane during busy periods and controlled by the overhead gantries. The were of the opinion that it actually appeared to work very well, dispite all the natural reservations that old people have about anything new.

My gripe is with the idea of charging for it. If it works and improves traffic flow without presenting a hazard fine, let everyone use it.

Introducing a charging structure just smacks once again of the government looking for any opportunity to raise money, regardless of the fact that;

a. It's not fair.

and

b. We've already paid - many times over!

Dan

I don't use that bit of motorway very much now, but if they're going to charge for it, I wouldn't use it all...just set the TomTom to take me on a 'non-toll route' I did this all the way to the South of France recently 'cos I twernt going to pay the £50 in toll fees :evil: from Dunkirque to the Med, and that's each way - Rob

My MAIN concern is that the hard shoulder is there for a VERY specific reason, and that is to allow for breakdowns and free passage for emergency services, to allow full usage is asking for trouble, one serious accident and the WHOLE of the M27 will be gridlocked, I don't know who thinks up the ideas, but, I would'nt trust them with logistics in times of warfare :shock:

Rich.

I saw some figures some time ago Rich where they listed the number of accidents that occur on the hard shoulder, can't remember the number now but it is why they tell you to get out of the vehicle and onto the verge. It certainly sounds like the decision of a committee! :lol:

Roy.

I suppose that's why there has NEVER been a statue erected to commemorate a committee. :lol:

Rich.(Good evening btw.)

Evening! Well Rich, tradition has it that a Camel is a horse designed by a committee if that helps!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back