Louvre + t&g boarded door project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernowjoiner24

Established Member
Reaction score
Heres one of the more interesting jobs ive had recently at work.. The recent stiff breezes blew an outbuildings double doors off their hinges and smashed one to bits.. To the workshop !

20140330_102139_zpsogpz3yli.jpg

The other door isn't too bad, minor repairs and a re-paint..

20140330_102143_zps1qso21zn.jpg

Timber selected, cross cut and marked up..

20140330_103443_zpsm0ttjvve.jpg

Mortises and tenons cut..

20140330_113005_zpsjdmgsamz.jpg

Tenons cut on the tenoner.. ahem.. well, table saw.. Haunches marked and cut on bandsaw..

20140330_114218_zpsnyrb2uvs.jpg

A quick dry assembly and check next to existing door..

20140330_114614_zpsjqitutyr.jpg

Some head scratching marking out the slots for the louvres on both stiles..

20140330_121711_zpsv9jpl5hn.jpg

Shoulders cut down with tenon saw and the meat taken out with a straight cutter in my battered old 1/4" router..

20140330_123256_zpsxgeh7a8u.jpg

Inside faces of stiles and rails sanded up before assembly..

20140330_125340_zpsbbi0dsxz.jpg

Next I cut some sapele wedges and cleared the bench off for the glue up..

20140330_132608_zpsarx5iwhk.jpg

Door assembled, wedges driven in, clamps off and excess glue cleaned off. A quick check for squareness and wind then cut wedge ends off..

20140330_133843_zpsoswhfoiq.jpg

I ran the belt sander over the faces, planed up the edges and cut the horns off and sanded up the top and bottom..

20140330_144724_zpsmus1ob3q.jpg

Next I ran my under-cutter in the router around the insides of the stiles and top rail to create a groove for the boards to sit it, then measured and cut the boards..

20140330_160009_zpssegflowh.jpg

Then I measured and cut the boards up for the louvres, slotted them in and pinned them into the stiles from the back. A good sand over both doors and a couple replacement louvres in the other door..

20140331_154230_zpsc2ca2503.jpg

20140331_154241_zps965f5dd6.jpg

Now they need priming and painting, my least favourite part. :?

Thanks for looking, all opinions welcome !

Very nice indeed, a handsome looking door that. I like your method of slotting in the louvres after the main glueup and then pinning them rather than sandwiching them between the stiles during the glueup (panic).

I also don't enjoy the painting bit. Seems a real shame to hide all that wood with paint. They would look much nicer if you just clear cuprinol and sealed them. Trouble is you'd have to strip or remake the other door so that's not going to happen is it :)

Great job though.

Thanks bob. Yes I went for the easy option when it came to the louvres, theres nothing worse than a frantic glue up !

I agree I never like painting something that could be varnished/oiled, etc but its on a naval base where most doors are painted either 'chive' (army green) or 'verona' (in your face bright green) This is the latter !

A really good job there! You've done this before, several times, by the looks of it!
Nice big workshop, I see, room for more kit as and when it, or the need crops up.
Now! I do like the painting bit personally, It's a bit like the peaceful end to another job you feel is well done.
Regards Rodders

kernowjoiner24":3rntvgdl said:
Thanks bob. Yes I went for the easy option when it came to the louvres, theres nothing worse than a frantic glue up !

I agree I never like painting something that could be varnished/oiled, etc but its on a naval base where most doors are painted either 'chive' (army green) or 'verona' (in your face bright green) This is the latter !

That'll be Devonport then?

Thanks for the comments ! Honestly, ive probably made around 8 or 10 doors now similar to this one in all ? Although this was my first t&g and louvre'd door ive done !

The workshop is a decent size but id like it to be just that, rather than full of everybody elses s**te aswell ! :lol: The next addition will be a nice shop-made router table hopefully.

And not Devonport, RNAS Culdrose down in deepest darkest Cornwall !

That's a louvrely door (sorry... :lol: )

Looks very well made, I really enjoy seeing projects like this, thanks for sharing it.

Stephen

Steve-O":18h5357f said:
That's a louvrely door (sorry... :lol: ) <br abp="774"><br abp="775">Looks very well made, I really enjoy seeing projects like this, thanks for sharing it. <br abp="776"><br abp="777">Stephen

Thanks very much ! Weve had an old retired site chippy doing some helping out and odd jobs around the site lately and he was keen to paint the doors for me, result ! :lol:

I remember that little 'shed' from the late 50s! Especially around the back of it!
Well maybe it's not that old... :D

I hope 'Pusser' was happy.

Seriously KJ, that is a proper job and it puts the rest of the 'caboose' to shame!

Now, By 'under-cutter' do you mean a slot cutter with bearing? That's all I have that would cope with grooving the rails and stiles after assembly. I would probably have decided to run the grooves before assembly, with a straight cutter, but then I'm an awkward cuss at times! :mrgreen:

John

Thanks ! Yea its a 6mm grooving cutter with an undersize bearing above so it will cut a groove 8mm deep into the stiles/top rail. I would usually run the groove before assembly after cutting the rebate but as this door was square shouldered (no rebates) and the groove was only needed for the boards on the top half routering it was much easier !

And who is pusser ?!

kernowjoiner24":1ptp6nwv said:
Thanks ! Yea its a 6mm grooving cutter with an undersize bearing above so it will cut a groove 8mm deep into the stiles/top rail. I would usually run the groove before assembly after cutting the rebate but as this door was square shouldered (no rebates) and the groove was only needed for the boards on the top half routering it was much easier !

And who is pusser ?!

Thanks KJ. Pusser (From the Purser) is Naval slang for the Admiralty. If a rating is described as 'Pusser' he or she is a 'by the book' person. AKA 'All for it' (Loves the Navy like a family.) I enjoyed my service, but I can't say I was 'Pusser'. I was relieved to finally get demobbed! :D

Thanks again. I'll look out for more of your WIPs.

John

Brilliant work and a project close to my heart and love making framed doors. I particularly like how you spaced the boards better than the original.

I have a fetish for looking at dilapidated doors to see what parts have become rotten and how this had been affected by there position or lack of maintenance.

When an apprentice I attended doors that were quite old, built in Victoria’s reign and some more recent that don’t seem to have lasted five minutes.

This biggest problem seems to be expansion and contraction due to damp conditions. I noted you used glue on the joints, were the prototypes joints glued? What aspect has the door got? Does it face south or face prevailing winds.

Regards
Mike B

Ahhh I see.. As a lowly contractor we dont mix much with the navy, well only when they break somthing ! Did you do a stint at culdrose then ?

Thanks stimpi, glad you approve ! Doors if im honest are one of my favourite aspects of the job too. You noticed the boards, I hate non-symetry in my work so decided to space them properly, the same with the louvres. Probably a bit of underlying ocd but oh well !
I was just trying to think which way they face, south east id say ?

Hi KJ

Yes, I did a stint at Culdrose. In the sixties... Long time ago now. I had only a few months, but I enjoyed it. Used to love going into Helston and settled on the 'Blue Anchor' as my 'local'. All in all, happy days.

Cheers... Jon

Back