Loose handle on S&J tennon saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl P

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this for 50p the other day - the rust is only surface so should clean easily and the plate is really straight with no dents, however the handle is loose. Before I do anything I might regret, does anyone know if the handle is held by rivets, in which case do I hammer them tighter? Or are they threaded and therefore impossible to tighten? Should I drill them out, if so what should I replace them with? Any help gratefully received, and apologies for having to ask such obvious questions.

Cheerio,

Carl

Attachments

• S&J 1.JPG
    S&J 1.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 2,535
  • S&J 2.JPG
    S&J 2.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 2,535
I can't say for certain but I think they are rivets. If there is a visible gap between the saw plate and the handle you might be able to fix it by forcing in something thin such as a sliver of wood or a bit of thin metal cut from an empty beer can. Use long bits and trim them off when they won't bash in any further.

Or just drill the rivets out and replace them with saw screws - you could make a new handle while you are at it!

Looks modern and cheap - softwood handles, what had S&J come to?

I'd expect rivets.

But in any case, if the looseness is up and down, I'd just put a shim in the mortise that holds the spine - something touch like some coke can (handy source of shim material, cuttable with scissors).

BugBear

It might be cheap at 50p but I've got one the same I bought new in a shop and paid full retail price for.
(It was quite a long time ago and I can't remember how much of my pocket money it was. It never was a very nice saw. )

bugbear":38rcy1vh said:
Looks modern and cheap - softwood handles, what had S&J come to?

From http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/about-us :

Over the years, Spear & Jackson’s products have become widely recognised for their heritage and high quality. The Group has expanded through acquisitions and we have also reduced costs by relocating selected manufacturing operations to Asia.

Any further explanation needed ?

Well I paid £3 for the one in this picture

But its never been used!

Pete

These are rivets, the male part is on the side without medaillon.

B2110.jpg

At least at the 5 saws I had in 2007.

Cheers
Pedder

I've got a smaller version of Carl P's : S&J, 2 rivets only, 8" blade, steel back. Definitely riveted. Beechwood handle. On mine there was a bit of vertical movement between blade & handle, cured (almost, not completely) by jamming a toothpick into the top of the tenon slot, between the back of the blade and the wood.

Don't listen to the denigrators :) - it may not be the acme of the saw-makers' art, but mine works well enough and I'm sure yours will too, once cleaned & sharpened. If nothing else, you can practice sharpening without worrying about messing up an expensive saw.

Might be worth giving the rivets a squeeze in a large vice and see if that tightens them up ?

Or some similar gentle encouragement with a largish tapometer ?!!!

Cheers, Paul

I have a similar riveted handle on a backsaw I picked up in a box at a yard sale. It was also loose (bloody wobbly really). Mine responded well to a few taps to a piece of scrap while supported on a board on my patio. Tightened the rivets right up. Have yet to sharpen it though, at least it does not wobble any more.

Well, thanks for all the replies, in the end I've just gone and hit them (with a piece of wood between hammer and rivets of course) and it's now as tight as a gnats chuff (not that I've ever....) how long that will remain the case time alone shall tell.

Cheerio,

Carl

Back